Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much Hp can a T5 handle. I heard some guys running 9s with them.

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
It depends upon how the unit is treated.

Subjecting a T5 to WFO dragstrip launches on slicks and powershifts, they won't last long behind big power... but if they aren't subjected to the above treatment and are only run with street tires and are shifted carefully, they will stand up to quite powerful engines.

Some people could tear up an anvil with a rubber hammer... some are a bit more careful.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just curious...How a 67 289 hi-po stock engine with just jba shorties is getting 360hp? thats alot of hp out of a stock engine. Is that at the flywheel? Weird cuz ford only rated the engine at 271 bhp..thats in ideal conditions with no accessorys on the engine? are you running nitrous or something? Just curious, Ryan

·
Registered
359 Posts
I had a T-5Z behind a motor makeing about 550-600 with a 250 shot I never broke the tranny, then again I would run on street tires not launching hard or powershifting. 1 good powershift behind any real power and it is done

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ryan alot of stuff here is what i add. I add a winage tray 12hp, Distribler add like 40hp. Sprialmax thing added 15hp. K$N air filer. Just different stuff, there are alot of way to make more power without touching the engine. Like added a electric water pump will add 30hp. I probley have arround 340-360. I am having a roller cam put in. It will be done this friday

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
Well, Masterd

Those horsepower claims don't really add up like that, but it is refreshing to see people out there like yourself taking the bull by the horns, and trying to make some horsepower with the old hotrods.

Those hydraulic rollers are good for up to around 6000-6300 rpm, so don't expect to wind it up any higher than that... and no, they aren't nearly as hard on the valvetrain as their solid roller cousins.

Do you have the cam specs?

p.s. To really unleash the potential power of that engine, you'll need a set of heads. Those stockers just won't flow enough air to make all that much power... even with all your other upgrades. I vote for the AFR 165's with the hydraulic roller and its rpm limit.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here are the cam specks Comp Cam 540/540 lift and it will go up to 6200rpm. I am planing on adding heads later like AFR heads. Would 185's be to big? I know Mike i need to dyno it when i get some extra money to blow

·
Registered
186 Posts
about HP ratings.. I have an 66 stang 302 solid cam I think it's a hp cam.. (about the same lift) mild ported 66 heads headers 2" exhaust carter carb 4bbbrl.. i dynoed it last year 174 rwhp..
I tried an G-tech 6.5 sec 0 100 km/h (0-60 mph)14.7 or so 1/4 mile
i have an 4 speed and 3.0 rearend 8"
don't think the old sae ratings are so true....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts