Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just heard someone say you can gain 8-10 hp. by switching from flex fan to an electric. I do understand the logic behind this, but 10 hp?

input please

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
It's true. The mechanical fan creates a large amount of drag on the engine. It's takes power to turn it. Takes less power without the fan there.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I couldn't feel the difference with an electric in front of my 460. but here's a rant for you
in my experience, electric fans add more complications than they're worth (depends a great deal on how you use the car, i suppose). Things are best kept simple. a mechanical fan, bolt it on once and it will turn and pull heaping gobs of air forever. an electric fan is one more relay to go out. It also seems like you always end up upgrading because it isn't cooling well enough. so if you're gonna do it, do it right and first time and buy the fancy one, but make sure your charging system can handle it. Overheating and dead batteries are no fun.
my 2 cents

Matt

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: sleeper67 on 5/25/02 8:40am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
I picked up around .15 in et from an electric fan and electric water pump. On my set up thats 10 horsepower for both. Taking these things off the crank allows the horsepower to be moved to the back end instead of being lost at the motor.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Hottarod on 5/25/02 12:31pm ]</font>

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Probably the reason 67sleeper didn't notice much difference on his 460 is because it makes so much torque in the firstplace.I definetely felt a difference on my 302.However that being said I then had electrical problems and the car ran hot.I finally switched to a thermally controlled clutch fan which costs no power until it locks up and my engines nice and cool again.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, looks like thats next on the list.

·
Premium Member
4,450 Posts
Well,here's something to think about.Maybe removing the engine fan does free up a bit of horsepower,but it's not all for free,What about the extra electrical load and drag from the alternator having to keep up with the extra current load to run the fans? It must make some difference.Just listen to some cars idle speed drop slightly with the extra load of just turning on the headlights at night...

·
Registered
41 Posts
An electric fan won't switch on until you get stuck in traffic, or idling in the driveway. Once your moving the fan will be off. A nice little bonus is an increase in mpg. 5% is not uncommon.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I installed my electric fans and underdrive pullys at the same time. Oddly, I felt more seat of the pants change than when I did my alum. head swap.

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
Sleeper67 makes some very good points. When doing the electric fan thing, be sure your electrical system is in top condition, and don't get a bargain/cheapo fan. You really need to step up to the best fan that pulls the most cfm. $$ The duals I understand tend to work better than a single fan. When they work without hassle, i.e., they've been planned and installed properly, they work very well. They can be a hassle though. As far as power, I hear good things about the gains at higher rpms, also, without the big mechanical fan you get less vibration and imbalance, which is always good. No matter how well balanced the fan is, it's never perfect. Just my two cents, all heard through third parties.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts