Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Almost have my 64 on the road and I am not happy with the stance. I put new springs on the front and rear. 4 leaf grab a track on the rear and V8 springs on the front. My motor has aluminum heads, intake, radiator and relocated battery to the trunk. The front sits too high. I am thinking about cutting a coil off the springs but was wondering how much that will lower it? I want to be sure this is the right thing to do before I do it since there is no going back (without buying new springs) I would like about 1.5 inches.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Post a pic if you can. I would think one full coil will be a lot. What springs did you install? If you do the Shelby drop on the upper control arms it will lower your front about 1/2". If you do cut the coils I would not cut more then 1/2 a coil. Have you given the coils enough time to settle?

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
I cut one full coil from my original L6 springs. It dropped the front end about 2". It had a great stance but only 1" of suspension travel.

·
Registered
440 Posts
if your coils are still new. give them about 200 miles of driving and going over normal road bumps and dips until they settle

·
Registered
289 Posts
With a 1" UCA drop and 1 coil removed, I got about 2.5" low. Eat's about an inch of my front tires- had to the baseball bat fender roll special. No rub after that.

·
Registered
121 Posts
im trying to decide what springs to use on my 64 comet,302 no ac,what springs are you using on it, what was the ht.unspung and compressed? also what rate, ?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Ron,

Each time I have cut coils it has been a pain in the ass because I am always cautions and cut less than I think to be safe...When I cut the M2 springs before I went to air bags it ended up being almost 2 coils to get it where i wanted it. That was about 3 cuttings to get it right. I will say that the likelihood of them settling a bit is right but weather that will lower it enough for you who knows. The shelby mod might be a good first stab as it supposedly drops the front about an inch as well as improving the front geometry.

Pierre

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
I cut one full coil off of new springs and it gave me what I was looking for. I did this after they were on there for awhile. As far as the 'S' drop, I did not experience any improvement so I put it back stock.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I already did the Shelby drop. I will see if I can post a picture. I have tried to post pics before with no luck but I will try again.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I already did the Shelby drop. I will see if I can post a picture. I have tried to post pics before with no luck but I will try again.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
I'd start off by cutting just half a coil and see where it gets you.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
My experience has been with every coil cut a drop of 1" to 1 1/4 but then I would also say it depends on what weight spring you are running. I have the 620's. A softer spring would likely be more or less? As stated 1/2 coil increments till you get the stance you want. In time the springs are going to settle and you might find you have cut too much and could end up with clearance issues depending on how much rubber you are running up front back sets wheel diameter ect.
Easy does it.
Ras

1 - 14 of 14 Posts