Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just asking for a rough estimate of what its going to cost to get my cleveland 4v closed chambered heads machined to accept screw-in studs for adjustable roller rockers.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's way cheaper than i thought.

How much needs to be milled off?

·
Registered
377 Posts
usually the thickness of the hex on the stud and the thickness of the plate...some are thicker than others.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
is that 3/8 to 7/16 of an inch including the two rails on the sides used for the pedestal mount rockers or is it 3/8 to 7/16 of an inch after removing those rails?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dsfordguy on 5/30/06 2:25am ]</font>

·
Registered
377 Posts
Without having a head in front of me I'm not totally sure...but I believe it's after the rails have been milled. Dont hold me to that though...

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
been researching on what needs to be machined on the heads. After milling the rails you take it another 0.300" down. Does this sound about right ou812?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Yes it is about right. Been a while since I did this but it's around 3/8 I believe...but that might be from the very top so .300 sounds like it.
Brian

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey ou812 do you know if aftermarket pedestal roller rockers can handle a cam like the comp XE284H with 240/246 dur and .584/.588 lift?

The guy at the machine shop here wants 300 dollars or more to make my heads accept screwin studs.

·
Registered
377 Posts
If you were to use a Comp beehive spring in that application, it would work fine. Hyd lifters are really not meant for high rpm, so if you kept it below 6000 rpm or right around the 6000 rpm limit then you should be fine. What happens with the bigger cam, is you need springs that can handle the cam and that places a strain on the stock sized bolts. Using the beehives, you can gain control without having to use excessive spring pressure which should work well up to or around 6000 rpm. That's what I would do cause $300 is too much for that little machining.
Brian

·
Registered
336 Posts
Thats helpful info, seen you at Speedtalk too, great to have you help others like us out!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you so much for the advice ou812. I'm going to try and search for any other machine shops before I make my final decision though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I work in machine shop and I charge $150.00 to cut and tap the heads. I race a 351c and i have cut a few sets for myself over the years. Located in Mobile Ala.

·
Registered
578 Posts
The conversion guide plates and studs are fine if you keep the spring persure way down . You have to remember that cleveland 4V valves are heavy and they need stif springs to controle there weight . If you run to week of a spring and drop a valve it will do a lot more damage than what the machine work would cost . The 5/16 ends on the screw in studs are not heavy enough to handle a lot of stress.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts