Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an open right now. What kinda of 1/4 mile drop would a detroit locker do? I have 4.11's in it with a T-5 tranny. I am pushing 300HP. What would lower my times more, putting $450 in the Locker, or go to all MSD, cam swap (i have a .488lift cam now and would go to a .512 .512 lift), ram-air? Most improvement for the money?

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
If you can't get traction, more power ain't gonna help. I would get the locker, then you can concentrate on making more power.

Grabber Green '70 Mach I 351C 4V
Robin Egg Blue '79 Fairmont 351C 4V

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: clevelandstyle on 6/1/02 9:56pm ]</font>

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hey, are those Detroit Locker's noisy? I'm thinking about a Powertrax, but problem is I take the car on the highway sometimes, is there going to be a problem with this?

·
Registered
50 Posts
There not that noisy, I ran one for a long while. You'll notice them when turning under acceleration, because it will engage and disengage.

You can expect to hear a clunk when it engages and disengages. On the highway you'll never hear it..

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yeah the detroit is great except those dang corners and the ez -locker is the same definelty hear that clunk and you know when its engaged and disengaged. Just try goosing it when making sharp turns and she chirps..
I have the ez-locker in my 4x4 works good for me.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I have run a locker for years and I have never heard any noises. I don't know if it makes any difference but I am using syn gear oil. I have had both 3.5 and 4.3 gears in the rear end also. I do agree with the other postings; you won't go anywhere with out traction but it will look cool doing it John Force style!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have the powertrax locker for a year now and you can't hear it go in or out. You can feel it though. If turning on a park road with gentle curves and you punch the gas it pulls the front end out of the turn slightly. Enough to notice it locking up but no noise.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
I have a Detroit Soft Locker. 99% of the time you don't ever hear it, just feel it. But, every once in a while it will let out quite a 'bang' that definitely gets your attention.

I've beat mine to death with nitroused stickshift launches on slicks over the past few years and haven't been able to kill it. It cost $409 through Summit, and the strength increase over those that fit into the stock carriers is well worth the extra money to me... and if resale would ever be a factor??? You just can't beat the genuine article.

The 'soft' locker locks just as well as the old one, it just has a piece between the two gears that cushions them as they 'mesh' together. IF it's just not tight enough for your tastes, stiffer springs can be purchased that makes it even tougher for the gears to seperate and go into 'open' mode.

Good Luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts