Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really want to put a flame thrower in my car, I'd prefer a propane one. But where would someone go about to get one and how much would it be?

·
Registered
596 Posts
as far as a kit, I dunno. BUT, you can do your self, for free. A while back in Hotrod Deluxe (now Car Kulture Deluxe) they did an article on a do it your self flame thrower. I printed it out, but filed it somewhere. Any how, check out their web site www.ckdeluxemag.com I don't know if you can find it on their site but you can write them, they should send you a copy of the article. They are pretty cool over there.

The way they did it was with a spark plug on the tail pipe. I think you have to run really rich, and the plug will ignite the gas fumes that haven't been burned up. If you rev up the engine and let off the gas, that's when it throws the flame. I've seen them big enough to torch the car behind you. I guess it depends how rich you run. So watch it.........

Good luck

·
Registered
196 Posts
I was talking about this last year and am finally thinking of doing it. My question is, can this hurt your engine? I'm aware of the safety risks (fire = ouch), but can this ruin anything? Flamethrowers would be so freakin cool, but I don't want to do it if it can F up my engine.

To answer the original question-

http://hotrodsetc.net/flamekit.html

This is the kit I'm going to buy.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the links guys.
And to my knowledge, no the engine has no harm, since the flames are from gas fumes that were ignited in the engine, and the exhaust should have a good enough pressure to not allow any flames to go back into the exhaust pipes, one reason why i am doing it. Also you might want to make sure that your exhuast tips are far enough out, or your scorch the body/bumper

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
The one thing that I have experienced with these is that you have to make sure you gas cap is not vented, all seams are sealed and watch your overflow tube. A few years ago, a different car guy (use to be my competition, now he is a security guard) built a 80 Camaro for a tv commercial. The gag was for the flames to be diferent colors (this is achieved by using pigments in the exhaust. Anyways,because they were in an alley, and there was no breeze, the fumes from the fuel tank ignited and blew out the tank. The stunt / actor was lucky due to the fact that the tank had only 2 gallons in it and they had, as a safety precaution put a bulk head in.
Lets just say it looks real cool but plan ahead for safety.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Car Craft or PHR did an article on these about a year ago, I'll see if I can dig the article up. Basically it uses another coil to supply the juice to the sparkplug in the tailpipe, and the system cuts the engine ignition for a few seconds when you flip the flamethrower switch. You pump the accelerator pedal, hit the switch, and the raw fuel is ignited at the end of the tailpipe. The article mentioned you may have to change your oil a bit more often due to the raw fuel getting past the rings, and you may see accelerated cylinder wear due to the cylinder washdown of the raw fuel. It also mentioned you need a really good set of mufflers, and a catalytic converter is out of the question. Hope this helps a little, I'll try to dig up that article and scan it.

Pat

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I think the artical was in R&C.

here is one way

another

this is the one from the kit i beleave

Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts