Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
This is a good VIN decoder and production # web site. Keep hitting 'Next' at the bottom of the car collumn until your model comes up.

http://www.lovefords.org/Vin/ford/6069/1969.asp

I believe that all galaxie 500 and higher models had disc brakes by '69. Only the low option models (Custom, etc) had drums.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jakengle on 9/2/04 7:55pm ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jakengle on 9/2/04 10:43pm ]</font>

·
Registered
322 Posts
I've seen plenty of '69's with drums, even LTDs.
It's amazing how many Charlie [email protected] didn't opt for them , especially at about 100 bucks or so.
Discs became standard on LTDs in '70, and across the board in '73

·
Super Moderator
21,514 Posts
It's also hard to imagine that a 100 bucks seemed like a lot of money back then. In 77 I paid $900 for my Galaxie, very few people would have paid that much for a 10 yr old car.
Add to that the fact that disc brakes were new and who needed them in most people's opinion. I can hear it still, "what do I need disc brakes for, my drum brakes work just fine". Even I never owned a disc brake car til around 1980. Just like the radial tires, I had no probs with my bias tires and hated the radials because I couldnt' drive on them til the tube (if tubed) showed through the tire practically and you couldn't mix the two types. I discovered real quick that mixing them, the radials should be on the back and watch it on the corners!

Deb

1 - 4 of 4 Posts