Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a Five Bolt Scatter Shield made of Cast Iron and it has NHRA APP and WEDGE F2-3 cast into it. It is identical to the COBRA scatter shield except it doesn't have the name on it. I've been told it is an Ansen unit.

Since I've never seen one before, I am wondering if anybody else has one or had one or...

PS- I paid $72 on ebay for it. The guy thought it was a Dodge since it has Wedge cast into it

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
I'm in my 40's & have only heard of them. Ansen made just about everything in the good old days. I have a set of their wheels. I'd say it's rare but how many people need one? It took me many years to sell my last 5 bolt 289. At least it found a really nice home

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Just saw a pair of Ansen bellhousings at the swap meet. one was a 5 bolt and one was a 6 bolt. The guy wanted $200 each.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rich- Can we submit this as thread resurrection of the year?
Guys. I got a PDF of the 1st Edition 1964 Mickey Thompson Ford Parts Catalog. It's encrypted and over 20MB so as of right now I can't post the page in question. It shows my scattershield and here's what it says:
"Why buy inferior substitutes, designed and manufactured by companies with less than half the experience of Wedge engineering, co-originator and pioneer of safety housing.
Wedge engineers conducted untold hours of testing on alloys and design configurations before reaching the ultimate in alloy and light weight housing design which is N.H.R.A. and Motor Trend approved.
Wedge safety housings are precision machined and inspected, to guarantee perfect fit on your engine, replacing stock bell housing with no increase in weight. No reworking, fitting, changing of clutch linkage. Just remove stock bellhousing and replace with Wedge.
Why do you need a safety housing, commonly known as a "SCATTERSHIELD". Kinetic energy, the force contained in a moving mass, acts as a destructive force when it meets with resistance. Flying pieces of clutch or flywheel are stored with many tons of energy and to contain these pieces a well designed housing of a tough ductile alloy such as "WEDGEALLOY" is a MUST. Cast iron or heat treated aluminum alloys will fracture due to their low elongation and tensile strength values.
REMEMBER, YOU ARE ABLE TO PURCHASE A WEDGE SAFETY HOUSING, BUT TRY TO BUY A NEW SET OF FEET.
Description: "A" Series 61-64 (221-289) Catalog #: 6206000 Price: $84.65 "

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
pelikan-
thats cool info :)

hey if you want to post a pic of the page try this(unless you already knew...)

pull up the page you want
hit alt-printscreen keys to store in
open paint
paste
save as a JPG(bmp looks better, but huge filesize)

where in the world did you ever find that catalog???that would be a cool tning to just browse thru- I love old stuff.

we got a HUGE old flashwelder at work we needed to get running- googled the guy that had his name on the patents, figured worth a try...called- he was 94 when he passed away last year, told his wife my apologies/sorry for bugging her- she was like, "Oh I'm sorry too, jim loved 'talking shop', he woulda loved to help answer any questions...funny you called I just asked the local library last week if they would be interested in any of his old engineering books, they said no it was all too old- I really dont want to throw them out- if they'd be any help youre welcome to come pick them up, I'd just be glad not to toss them out" we drove over and got some of the coolest old books...Steinmetz engineering encyclopedias, books her husband co-authored, etc...cool reading thru that stuff, they hadnt even settled on 60hz yet, and tungsten lamps were just coming into favor...eventually I'll find a museum or something to donate these books to- its really cool stuff- was really kind of her to offer to a total stranger working on one of her husbands old projects...
As far as the welder goes, almost afraid to fire it up- >75000 amp secondary current rating, and single phase SCR half wave control is gonna be rough on our old substation...kinda hoping we move it to the new plant before powereing it up :)

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great story!
I wasn't sure how it would turn out with the wide laptop screen, but here is the page in two parts. Also are two horrible pics of the housing itself. Lastly, a couple of pics of a two piece version that I just sold this week for $400.

HERE IS THE TWO PIECE THAT I JUST SOLD:

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
where in the world did you ever find that catalog???that would be a cool thing to just browse thru- I love old stuff.
Search Mickey Thompson catalog on ebay and there's a guy or two selling the catalog on CD ROM for 10 bucks plus shipping. If anyone has any old M/T stuff they'd like me to look for in the catalog just let me know.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do, do doo... Just reviving a TEN YEAR OLD THREAD that I started.

A 5 bolt COBRA lettered scattershield just sold on eBay for $1500. :eek:

289 Cobra 5 Bolt Scatter Shield Bell Housing Original RARE Part | eBay

I guess the market is $400 to $1500 depending on the model, with the COBRA units being the most valuable and the M/T and Ansens on the lower end of the range.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I still have it on the Pelican. I did recently pick up A COBRA scattershield for the 5 bolt. It wasn't cheap!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts