Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was putting on a new waterpump and broke a bolt off in the block. I know a little is sticking out inside the timing cover...BUT can I leave it or do I have to take the timing cover off and remove it? What pisses me off the most is I was going to use a new bolt because it was a bitch taking out. But I didnt.
Its the one Im pointing at

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
Sorry, but the timing cover probably has to come off. Thats one of the more important bolts on the whole setup.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I figured I would. I wonder if I can leave the pump bolted to the cover and just take out the ones that go through to the block? Say me the time scraping off all that RTV.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Yes I CAN be done, but does get kind of contrary going back together as a unit (or it has for me in the past) I always just bit the bullet and started over. FWIW.....

Used to be a "stud kit" offered for the SBF water/pump timing cover assy, but dont remember what company even offered it now...

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Bummer :( At least it didn't break off flush with the block...I would use some good penetrating fluid or some heat when you try to remove the rest of it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I hold the bolt up, it looks like it should have some sticking out. I will not know until I get the timing cover off. Even so, I have EZ Outs and I just screwed it in today, so it should come out fairly easy (I hope). Just pisses me off because I kept telling myself to replace the bolt, yet I used it anyway. I would have saved myself some work.

·
Registered
7,490 Posts
If you have a welder, the best way is to weld a nut to it... especially if it's broken off close to flush. The heat breaks the bond with the rust, and chances are, it will back right out.

Propane torches don't get hot enough to break that rust bond, as you've got to get it red hot.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well..let me tell you what happened. Drilled the bolt all the way through and started screwing in the easy out. Anyone wanna guess what happened next???? Yup, easy out broke in the hole. I had to call my buddy who is a machinest to come over. He had some nasty looking cutting bits that were razor sharp and his dye grinder. He bored out the hole and ran a tap through (little at a time with some good cutting lube). Took him about a half hour.
When he left he took my easy out kit and threw it in the trash. He told me to never use easy outs because 90% of the time its gonna end bad.

·
Registered
7,490 Posts
Well..let me tell you what happened. Drilled the bolt all the way through and started screwing in the easy out. Anyone wanna guess what happened next???? Yup, easy out broke in the hole. I had to call my buddy who is a machinest to come over. He had some nasty looking cutting bits that were razor sharp and his dye grinder. He bored out the hole and ran a tap through (little at a time with some good cutting lube). Took him about a half hour.
When he left he took my easy out kit and threw it in the trash. He told me to never use easy outs because 90% of the time its gonna end bad.
If the bolt breaks because it is RUSTED STUCK, an easy out isn't going to make it any looser. As he said, 90% of the time, the easy out will break, as those are very hard, brittle, and where they screw inside, they are smaller than the original bolt.

HEAT is what is required to break the bonds of something that is rusted... and it has to get RED HOT. A propane torch won't to ANYTHING. They just don't get hot enough.

What works best for me, is to weld a nut to a bolt that's broken off flush with the surface. This adds the heat required to break the rust bond, AND gives you a way to turn it out. Chances are, after the nut is welded to the bolt, it will back out easily.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It wasn't rusted. I had just screwed it in

1 - 15 of 15 Posts