Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok fellas, i am getting ready to do the exhaust on my truck. i got some "flowmonsters" cats off ebay for $100 for 2. they are knock offs of the dynatech cats. pretty nice. i got some imco extremes for mufflers, i really like them! so here is what i am asking theses are suppost to be "high flow" cats, and they are only 11" long and the ceramic itself is probably only 3-4" long inside. i really like how it sounds w/ just the mufflers. do i hollow them out, or let them alone. and i want to run an h-pipe so do i put the cats on then the h-pipe or vice-versa? i want to run the exhaust out the side in front off the rear tires, any thoughts on that? or do you guys think it would sound better out the back? i think i want to put the cats on then the h-pipe right out the back of the cats, then go like a foot or 2 into the mufflers, then i hope i still have room to go 45 deg. out the side, i don t want 90 deg, elbows (hurt flow?). should be pretty barky! i figure if i put the cats on in front i can just unbolt them from the headers and hollow them out if i don t like the sound. any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
You can do whatever you want but I would put the X or H pipe in front of the cats. I would be sure to mount the cats and a heat deflector where they can get lots of air. Then I would put the mufflers on no closer than 30 inches from the cats. I would also run the exhaust over the axle and out the back. It is quieter and will give more of a chance for big pipes to extract exhaust from the cylinders. It also makes it quieter in the cab so you can listen to music instead of the wine of an engine on those long haul trips. Let the pedestrians and other cars put up with the noise!
Paul

1 - 2 of 2 Posts