Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

How should I plumb this?

5K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  AdrianS 
#1 ·
I have a 69 Fairlane that had factory air, doesn't now, will again one day.

I have a 408 stroker in it now, and I want heat inside the car. Until now nothing was connected to the heater core and water pump and thermostat housing were all plugged. There are 3 pipes to the heater core on the firewall, all horizontal from each other.

I have the two nipple outlets on the water pump available and a nipple on the thermostat housing.

On the intake manifold, I have one port used by a temp gauge sensor, and two ports used for 2-stage electric fan sensors.

How should I plumb the heater hoses on this, I'd rather not disturb my temp sensor and fan sensor setup if possible.

Thanks everyone!

#2 ·
A short piece of hose goes from the thermostat housing to one of the nipples on the pump. That is a bypass to circulate water in the block while the thermostat is closed. The other nipple on the pump id the return from the heater core. The heater core is fed from the intake manifold. I'm assuming this is a Windsor engine.

#3 ·
Hi Thank you. Yes it's a Windsor... Ok, i'll connect the thermostat nipple to the top water pump nipple.

I then would have one more water pump nipple open. I don't have a Nipple/port on the intake, I'm using a 2-stage electric fan with 2 sensors, but I could change that and add a nipple, so then I'd have 2 hoses available to the firewall, but that still leaves a problem.

I have 3 heater core ports on the firewall, it's a factory AC car and they have 3 Heater core ports.
I do have a "bypass" valve, it's basically sits inline in a heater hose near the firewall and does something?

This is the part where I'm unsure what to do.
Thank you!

#8 ·
AdrianS, would you happen to have the diagram for the Heater & AC vacuum lines that run across the firewall and connect to the heater water valve and also the ones inside the dash (factory AC car) ? Google didn't find anything... Mine are all there but my Dad pulled them inside the car when he took out the factory engine etc... and they are just laying there... and I don't have a Vacuum canister at the moment or vac port on the intake,
THANK YOU!

#5 ·
Hi, THANK YOU!! That helps a LOT. I added some two comments to the pic in Red. I circled an area, not sure what those hoses all connect to, looks like maybe some kind of thing that connects them all together?? and a Red arrow pointing to some small hoses, Those look like vacuum lines? I know the heat, defrost and AC doors all run by vacuum. This is quite a mystery, I looked at a dozen old late 60's early 70's fords Saturday, not one has my setup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.