Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I know this is a Galaxie Forum, I've posted before about my 64 Galaxie. I've added a 69 Fairlane to my collection and I can't find info anywhere on my question.

I have a 408 stroker in it now, and I want heat inside the car. Until now, nothing was connected to the heater core, the water pump and thermostat housing were all plugged. There are 3 pipes to the heater core on the firewall, all horizontal from each other.

I have the two nipple outlets on the water pump available and a nipple on the thermostat housing.

On the intake manifold, I have one port used by a temp gauge sensor, and two ports used for 2-stage electric fan sensors.

How should I plumb the heater hoses on this? I'd rather not disturb my temp sensor and fan sensor setup if possible.

Thanks everyone!

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
If you don't have any ports on the intake, looks like your only option is the nipple on the thermostat housing, if the hose will be below the bottom of the inlet to the radiator. But the pressure and the volume will be so low does not seem worth while.

Better would be to drill a hole and install a bung in the intake or get a three-way tee for the normal place (preserving your sensors) and tie your heater hose into the extra nipple.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you don't have any ports on the intake, looks like your only option is the nipple on the thermostat housing, if the hose will be below the bottom of the inlet to the radiator. But the pressure and the volume will be so low does not seem worth while.

Better would be to drill a hole and install a bung in the intake or get a three-way tee for the normal place (preserving your sensors) and tie your heater hose into the extra nipple.
Thanks for the reply. I think I understand what you are saying. To be sure, could I connect each of the water pump nipples to a port on the heater core and the last heater core port to the nipple on the thermostat housing?

Also, i do have one hole in the intake on the back side between the carb and firewall, has a brass plug in it right now. Would that be better than the thermostat housing nipple connected to the third port on the heater core?

And I'm understanding there is likely a heater control valve that should be a part of this ?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
In my car that hole towards the rear of the intake is for vacuum, not water. Two pump nipples and three heater nipples? Sounds like a research project.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Can you find a shop manual for your Fairlane, either hardcopy, for purchase on CD or one you can download? It should show the hose routing. One or more of the hoses might have had a vacuum or mechanically operated (via a cable) valve installed. Without that, you might have heat all the time once you hook it up. The 1964 Galaxie on the other hand has water circulating through the core all the time and heat/no heat is controlled by the position of flaps in the heater box in the cabin.

Pat

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Post some pictures of your situation. Plumb it like any small block. If you filled holes normally used for heater core connections with other things, sensors, etc., then you'll be way ahead to move things around to get the heater as it should and find other spots for the extra components.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts