Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, just wondering how strong the 3-speed manual trannys are? Will one survive behind a mild 351W if not abused much? (No powershifting.) I'd like to go manual in my '68 and 4/5-speeds are just too expensive for me, but the 3-speeds are dime-a-dozen. I'm about to acquire a '69 351W and am thinking about snagging the 3-speed too if it's a decent tranny.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I suppose so. I didn't realize there were two different three speeds. How do I tell the difference? Which one is better and how strong is it? Thanks.

·
Registered
76 Posts
There's a 6 and an 8 version of the 3 speed. I would go with a 4 spd personally. The dagenham is pretty strong.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Buy one ...

Put it in and just treat it as you describe ...

You should be fine.

Seems to me you understand the ground rules ... so have at it.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
From what i hear with street tires it would be pretty tough to break a tranny. The stock T-5s are rated under 300 lb/ft torque, and i have been told that they have been surviving a long time on much stronger engines, as long as they are treated nicely

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. I had heard the 3 speed described as a "crackerbox" so I wanted to get a second opinion. I really won't be beating on this thing too hard, or doing any serious racing (street tires only), I just think it would be a little more fun with a manual tranny. (And definately more fun with an early 351W!)

A friend's friend has a 65 K-code that some person swapped a '69 351W and 3 speed in long ago, I guess back before these cars had any value. The tags on it say '85 and it does look like it has been sitting a long, long time. The guy doesn't care about the motor since he is gonna restore it all original, so I'm scoring it for $100. I am pretty sure I could grab the tranny and a pedal assembly along with it so I ought to have everything I need to swap over for next to nothing.

What do you guys recommend for a clutch? Just a stock clutch? Like I said, no hard launches at the strip are planned, just redlight-to-redlight runs on street tires.

Oh, and another thing I was wondering about- what about the driveshaft? Can I use my existing one or am I going to have to modify it?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: shiftless on 10/16/06 2:07pm ]</font>

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I've had Great luck with a "Ford" stock Clutch/Pressure Plate bought from the Dealerships Parts Department. They seem to last forever. I tried Zoom, Hays, and Centerforce to name a few. They last about 5 year’s tops. The last time I replaced my cutch was in 1987 and I have been known to abuse it.

I’ve been told that the aftermarket clutches will add extra material on the face thinking they are doing you a favor when actually it hurts the longevity. The extra material takes up the tight clearance that Ford paid the engineer big bucks to design. Times may have change since the mid 80’s but I haven’t had to give it any though since then. I don’t even know if you can still buy a clutch/“3-finger” PP through Ford anymore

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info fellas! I will measure the tranny to see, but does anyone know right offhand if my current driveshaft will work or not? I know the C4 and T5 trannys share the same yoke, but what about the toploaders? (Isn't the T5 based on the toploader design?)

·
Registered
662 Posts
I'm going to replace the in line 6 on my 68 Mustang Convertible, can I modify the stock 3 speed manual to work with a V8, If so what do I need to do?

·
Registered
123 Posts
On 2006-11-03 22:06, trikar wrote:
I'm going to replace the in line 6 on my 68 Mustang Convertible, can I modify the stock 3 speed manual to work with a V8, If so what do I need to do?
In 68, they started putting the V8 3spd behind the I6s, just find a V8 bell and you're good to go.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
those V8 3spd arent that tough
I went 3 or 4 of them in my 64 fairlane. Had a stock 68 302 2v with 11in clutch, duals and 3spd on the floor,but when i put the shifter in i installed the shifter arms on the tranny DOWN (i think,i makes the pattern backwards),so 1st is where reverse was,second is where 3rd was and reverse is where 1st was. So shifting from 1 ta 2 just pull in back. It would clean the teeth off 2nd gear,not brake it,but NO TEETH every time you hammer on it. Went to a 4spd after about the 4th 3spd

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
If you can find the FORD 3.03 3/S (same design as a F/4/S-long and short tailshaft) it will more than hold up. All three gears are synchronized. FORD also used several BW designs which should hold up but first gear is not synchronized (these were direct or O/D and were replaced by the 3.03 generally in 1963).

The Dagenheim was a light duty 4/S and will take very little abuse (used on early six cylinders). There is also a 2.77 3/S that is medium duty (and first is not synchronized).

You want the proper 3.03. It is alike in appearance to the TOPLOADER F/4/S.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Let me correct one entry after I have thought about it (shaking a lot of cob webs loose with this one).

The 2.77 was a light duty 3/S, used behind six cylinders (intermediates). The model 2 15/16 was the HD non-synchro model used along with the 3.03.

Model Name 2.77-2 15/16-3.03 is realized by measuring the distance between the CL of the input shaft to countershaft.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Didn't Pontiac specify using the Ford three speed behind their 389 and 421 in the Catalina back in the early 1960's for there wasn't any other trans on the market strong enough to take the torque?

Wm.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
On 2006-11-29 19:55, coosbaylumber wrote:

Didn't Pontiac specify using the Ford three speed behind their 389 and 421 in the Catalina back in the early 1960's for there wasn't any other trans on the market strong enough to take the torque?
'Ya know...I had forgotten all about that....

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I finally got you guys on a piece of trivia.

But, remember this based on incident for old friend on mine went to old folks home last month. He bought a new four door Pontiac with 389, three speed and 4.11 gears to pull a travel trailer. The steering column went to hell, and I installed a Hurst on the floor for him about ten years ago. This trans is not listed for Pontiacs, but an older Hurst catalogue showed it there. He found a used item at swap meet and it fit just fine.

Wm.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts