Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to install the AFR185's on my 393w. Never had an engine w/guideplates. Since they are adjustable and need to be torqued, how do you do it?. Should I assemble w/plates loose, align plates, tighten w/open end wrench, disassemble and torque?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Thats exactly how I did the plates on my AFR heads. They were kind of difficult to line up, allways seemed to to far one way or the other. I almost considered cutting the plates
ih half to make it easier.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I'm not sure who makes them but I have seen guide plates that split in the middle ,when you get your everything centered you tack it with the mig and then take them off and weld carefully so the don't warp.Sounded like a good idea since mine seemed to far one way or the other as well.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Jack Roush use to do this in his 351-C Pro Stock motors all the time. Cut and weld to be centered.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Isky makes the 2 piece guide plates your talking about.
I just line them up and tighten with a wrench. Go back and torque to 35ft.lbs.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Guys,same problem with my Canfield heads!!Just center them the best that you can and then rotate the motor to see where the roller rocker lines up on the valve with the valve open!!Took a few times to get it exact!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts