Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI, I want a few experts opinions on what is the best way to spend $2000 on a performance rebuild/upgrade on my 460. The engine is going in a 4 wheel drive desert race truck, So I need tons of torque. How would you spend $2000 in performance parts, stay under $2000, and get the most HP/Torque? This vehicle will never see the street and will run open headers..... What are your thoughts? Ideally I would like HP to peak at 4500 rpm.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: structural1 on 3/1/02 8:11am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: structural1 on 3/1/02 8:15am ]</font>

·
Registered
143 Posts
Well i would get a summit engine kit, with hypereutectic pistons, $400, comp cam 218/226 Extreme 4X4 cam $120, weiand stealth intake $175, Edelbrock 1407 750CFM carb $210. You should have enough money left over for macine work. and Misc parts.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
would turbocharging be out of the budget? You should be able to meet your goals quite easily with 10 lbs of boost....

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
There is a post in the garage where one of the guys talks about a $1200 460 making around 500 hp. I think the title is BBC vs BBF. You don't need any more head than the DOVE and you can port them your self. Figure $700 for a decent engine kit and machining for the short block, DOVE junk yard heads, $150 for an intake like a stealth, $200 for a carb, $150 for a cam, that leaves $800 for ignition, and all of the little stuff.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
DEFINITELY do some porting work on the stock heads, there's an easy 30-50hp to be made there. Also, check out the thread labeled "fuel mileage" here:

http://www.fordmuscle.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=1637&forum=1&10

frdnut posted some hp and tq numbers on an intake manifold shootout on a 460. The plain vanilla Edelbrock Performer made more HP and TQ than any other manifold (including the Stealth). I think if you're looking for HP at or below 5000RPM, the Performer's smaller ports will make more power, where the Stealth is probably better on a 460 with more cam making power around 5500-6000. But first and foremost, do something about the heads, they flow horribly from the factory.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have a few suggestions for your 460. First, find a used set early small chamber heads. Then find a used set of BBC studs, balls, rockers and guideplates and install them on your heads. Just cut the guideplates half way between the stud holes and line them up on the 460 heads. You'll need a set of hardened pushrods (stock replacement 429 SCJ pushrods will work good) It's not very expensive, but doing those things will allow you to run a solid lifter cam. Port the heads, especially on the exhaust side, but leave the valve sizes stock. Get a good 3 angle valve job and have the valves backcut 30 degrees in the process. Call Comp Cams and have them grind you a custom cam using thier High Energy solid, 252-7 intake lobe and their 264-1 exhaust lobe. Get it ground with a 110 degree lobe seperation angle and 2 degrees of advance ground in for a 108 degree intake lobe centerline. That'll give you a 210-220 .493-.498 110 l/s +2 cam. Use 1 7/8 headers with 34 - 38 inch long tubes and long 24 - 26 inch collectors measured from the end of the primary tubes. I have no idea how much compression you want or the fuel that you can run but with 105 octane fuel, properly but not radically ported heads, along with the valve grind stuff I mentioned above, and 11-1 compression, my computer predicts 532 ft/lbs at 2600 rising to a peak of 556 at 3800. Peak HP is spread between 4600 and 5000 where it makes 475 HP + or - 1 or 2. There was no hydraulic lifter cam that I found that could match that cam for power and torque in the RPM range you want. The best hydraulic I found was the Crane Powermax 260-H, but it was down about 20 ft/lbs and nearly 20HP. If you engine was to put out anywhere near 450 HP at that RPM level it would be very impressive to say the least. I used the specs from an RPM Performer intake with the crossover heat blocked off and a 750 cfm carb as well. That's the combo that Engine Analyzer things your engine will like, so I hope that is at least a good guideline for your buildup.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mach1morgan on 3/1/02 1:33pm ]</font>

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Not to get off topic, but where are you going to run that truck at? What race series?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On 2002-03-01 02:05, dragman64 wrote:
Not to get off topic, but where are you going to run that truck at? What race series?

Actually, I have been picked to compete in a TLC series very similiar to Junk Yard Wars where we build a multi function vehicle to race on ANY surface. My build will be based on a 78 Bronco Prerunner.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Sweet!! When will it be on so I can watch it?? BTW, aren't tri-y headers (like Thorleys) suposed to be better at making torque than long tube headers? Or do they sacrifice too much top end power?

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Mach1Morgan: Why do people always say to use BBC rockers on BBFs? There are lots of aftermarket roller rockers available for BBFs, and quite a few are almost as cheap as stamped steel rockers (Comp makes a steel roller tipped rocker set for the BBF, and I think Crane has some budget aluminum roller rockers available as well). Just curious what's so special about the BBC rockers.

·
Registered
231 Posts
There's nothing special about them. It's just that lots of BBC guys buy roller rockers and will almost give them away. They work great for making early 460 heads adjustable and the guy has a really tight budget to work with, that's all.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
WOW! I'd love to know more about your plans (or are they top secret??). Suspension design etc. When does this have to be ready?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts