Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Windsor motor in my 1969 Mustang and was wondering what are some good methods to check for vacuum leaks?

Thanking all of you in advance, AJ

·
Registered
440 Posts
yea just spray carb cleaner at the vac line ends and if the motor jumps in rpms, well theres your leak

·
Registered
780 Posts
The carb cleaner method works best if the engine is already running lean. You will get a more noticeable rpm increase when the cleaner is sprayed at the leak point. Adjust the carb mixture to make it run as lean as possible without stalling, then spray around suspect leak areas.

Beware of spraying carb cleaner near hot surfaces, sparks (distributor) etc. Keep an extinguisher or some wet rags handy. Also avoid spraying on surfaces that you want to keep looking pretty.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have always used my oxy acetylene torch, unlit with just the acetylene valve open. It does the same thing without any liquid sprayed on your engine. A propane torch on a remote tank also works!

Gordo

·
Premium Member
5,864 Posts
Lift the lid off the carburetor and slip a baggie in there and then screw the lid back on. Find yourself a good hose to the intake, like PCV or emissions or power brakes. Light a cigar (recommend a Black & Mild wooden tip) and blow the smoke into that hose. Smoke will fill the manifold, see where the smoke comes out, there's your leak.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Lift the lid off the carburetor and slip a baggie in there and then screw the lid back on. Find yourself a good hose to the intake, like PCV or emissions or power brakes. Light a cigar (recommend a Black & Mild wooden tip) and blow the smoke into that hose. Smoke will fill the manifold, see where the smoke comes out, there's your leak.
I've suspected a vacuum leak on my Ranchero but could never find it using the spraying carb cleaner method. I'm looking forward to trying this smoke method. It sounds ingenious!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts