Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HMy truck has just stared getting hot at idle. I put in a new thermostat didnt help. I looked in the rad after my fan kicks in elec fan 180 deg and 180deg thermostat and the water is moving but not real fast just barley. Both hoses are hot water pump or clogged rad ?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Usually water pumps leak when they go bad. I've also seen where the impellers are so rotted out they they barely move any coolant.
Does it cool down when cruising down the road? If so, I would say your radiator needs flushed. I would look at the radiator first.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I'd check the radiator for blockage for sure. I've had two vehicles in my shop, in the last month, that have had the impellers rusted off of them. Has the pump been there for a while??

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
If both hoses are hot then that leads me to beleive either the rad is plugged and and isn't giving off any heat or the fan isn't moving enough air.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Water pump is about 1.5 years old, rad is 55 years old I have had it cleaned several times. I looked inside and can see coolant moving, but a;lso can see some blockage in a couple of the passanges. Time for a new rad I guess.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
A 55yr. old radiator? Yeah...time for a new one.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 82GT on 8/8/06 11:29am ]</font>

·
Registered
16 Posts
Another thing to check that a lot of people overlook is soo simple...the radiator cap! They are designed to hold in a certain amount of pressure...if they go bad then your car can over heat! It's a quick and easy thing to check!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts