Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Car is a 69 LTD w/ 390 2v, auto trans...
If anyone knows how to decode the carb tags, or can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it. The PO of my car said when they put this rebuilt carb on, it backfired and whatnot. I can see the plastic choke nut on top is partially melted, so I'd figure this carb needs a rebuild or replacement. It actually seems to run good once the car is warmed up fully, but it wants to stall repeatedly during cold starts, and I feel it surging slightly at part throttle.
Autozone and Oreilly have reman carbs listed in the low 200's, plus core. I'd figure on keeping my core and rebuilding it at my leisure. Here are the pics, any ideas or input?

BTW: I changed the fuel filter, adjusted the idle mixture the best I could, and ran a few bottles of berryman carb cleaner through the fuel. I used to own a 72 F100 with the 360 and 2v carb, never had issue with starting or surging. I think the choke is missing parts on this LTD, but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I am not the one that can decode but thats the no's you need for a kit.... Just kit it keep it OEM... M2C (ps DONT lose the tag, put it right back... ;) )

MRO.....

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
That's the original carb tag for a 69 Ford Galaxie with a 351.

The kit you want is the CT-499D motorcraft kit available at any Ford Parts counter. Its the best kit out there.

Many of the others don't have all that you need or are inferior materials.
Some are even missing spec sheets which the motorcraft kits always contain.

Remember that when you rebuild this one to rebuild it to the 1969 Galaxie 351 specs and you should be fine :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shouldn't i spec it for the 390? Only concern is I've never rebuilt a carb, and the replacement is special order. I live in an apartment complex so i pull it out into the street to work in it. Don't know if I'd really like it sitting out there for several days and nights... I gather it takes a few days to properly redo the carb? Should the kit come with the parts for the choke as well?

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
A few hours to rebuild at most. Take your time, use ice-cube trays to sort your little parts, and take your time. Do not skip any steps. Use the 351 spec's as FE said, as that is how the carb was produced and meant to be used, even on the wrong engine.

Offhand, if it runs fine when warmed, then it probably needs nothing but adjustments. The starting issue is choke related. The surging at light throttle means it's lean. Dirt, vacuum leak, low float level, etc. that leaves it lean. Keep that one if you can, and do it yourself so you know what was and was not done to it.

There are videos about the 4100 operation and rebuilding on YouTube that may help you get a handle on it easier.

David

1 - 5 of 5 Posts