Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always been under the impression that you make the most power if you have your timing set as high as possible without causing your engine to predetonate.

For example (ignoring max advance, advance curve, etc.), you would try setting your base timing at 12 degrees, then go pull a hill at 2000-3000 rpm and see if it pings. If it does, back off the timing 1 or 2 degrees and try again. Once you find a setting it doesn't ping at, that's your optimal timing.

But is this true, or would it make more power if you found that point where it stops pinging, and then back it off an additional 1 or 2 degrees?

·
Registered
508 Posts
I've always heard the first, do it until it stops pinging or knocking, then you're good.

·
Registered
81 Posts
yea, but what I'd love to know is how to figure the optimal curve for the advance...

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Or trial and error at the strip. What kind of motor is it? You should start somewhere in the ballpark, then get it perfect.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Is it for the 460 you've got listed on your vehicles at the bottom of your posts?
If so, I'd start with a total of 34 and go from there...........My .002

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, it's for the 460 in my Bronco. If I remember right it's running 10 degrees initial and 36 degrees total right now, with the vacuum advance adjusted to the barely-doesn't-ping point. I was just thinking about bumping the initial timing up a degree or two in the quest for more torque, but I didn't know if it might possibly make more power with LESS timing.

Edit: here's some engine specs, might help you guys out some:
Edelbrock 750 carb, Performer intake, stock D3 heads, probably 8:1 compression, Thorley Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Crane 260/272(adv) hyd. cam, Mallory Unilite vac advance and Promaster coil.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Motorhead on 3/10/02 9:47am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
My 460 is very similar to yours. It ran best with 14* initial, 40* total. I put two light springs in the dizzy and advance is all in by about 2500 rpm. Any more timing and I gained no power, only higher operating temps. With that said, this is on a 4800lb car with 2.75 gears. Your overdrive in a bigger truck might be similar so I'd give 14* a shot for starters and see if it pings.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts