Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've turned the motor over by hand. Firing up after a rebuild. How do I find TDC and be sure its on the right stroke (second) to install the distributer???
Thanks

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
If you have the valve covers off ... Hit TDC on the marker when both valves are closed (look at rockers to tell)... There you are

With valve covers on ... Pull #1 plug put your finger in the plug hole and have a buddy turn the engine over (by hand preferably) When you are at TDC on the marker and the cylinder pressurized (will most likely pop your finger right off the hole) ... There you are again

I imagine others may have ways to tell but those are two easy ones.

If your a gambling type of guy (here in Las Vegas) some would just bring it to TDC and rely on the odds ... which are pretty good by Vegas standards ... 50/50

Larry Madsen
Las Vegas Nevada

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MonsterMach on 4/22/02 9:19am ]</font>

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
monstermach hit the nail right on the head. Another way to tell, if you have the valve covers still on, wad up a tissue or something, jam it tight in the #1 plug hole, and turn tht motor by hand. When the tissue pops out, you're almost there.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey thanks. I'm making a checklist now to be sure I've tightened, connected, installed, everything. will probably fire it Friday night. Any commonly overlooked items???
By the way, I know i need to run it at 2000-2500 rpm for the first 30 min. without a tach....what do I do. ( bought one at a swap meet, but I dont have any instructions..

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
If you have to fire it up with no tach ... Just keep the RPMs "well above idle" ... You can vary it a little, just don't let it go down close to idle. Better to go a little on the high side.

There is nothing "magic" about 2,000 RPM ... You just need to keep the cam moving at a pace that will insure the tappets are rotating ...

As far as I know anyway.

Larry Madsen
Las Vegas Nevada

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MonsterMach on 4/22/02 12:13pm ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MonsterMach on 4/22/02 12:14pm ]</font>

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
If your tach is like every one I've ever hooked up the red wire goes to live ignition switched power,the green wire goes to the negative side of the coil,the white wire is for the light(I usually just connect it with the red wire and the light comes on with the key) and the black wire is a ground you can attach to the underside of the dash or whatever.Hope this gets it working for you.
If none of the wires match these colours your on your own

1 - 7 of 7 Posts