1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

Need some of your expertees on how to fireproof a new '70
fuel tank ?

Is there some kind of FIREPROOF MATERIAL I could cover the new tank with and then seal it with an 18ga. sheet metal box?

Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

THANKS U ALL

Schooner

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
You could wrap it in Asbestos........LOL

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On 2006-07-13 13:25, dfree383 wrote:
Hey WiseGuy

Thank you for your imput. First I would want you to wrap it around your front seat and tell me how it feels . . . lol

I believe this site is to be helpful. I would appreciate good imput and I'm sure almost all the guys on this webpage would too.

So Please lets keep it above board and try to be helpful to one another.

GOD bless you dfree383

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
What year and body style is it? Only a fuel cell will give you the best fire resistance. Covering the well in 18 gauge steel is a good idea. Also on a coupe you can buy metal barriers for the rear bulkhead or make one yourself, bear in mind a coupe has a pile of holes on the parcel shelf too. If you really want to go nuts get some "firestopping" caulking to seal the sheet metal around were you bolt it to the trunk floor. The Intumescent putty style swells if it is subjected to the heat of a fire to stop products of combustion getting through the gaps. Stu

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Best thing to do is replace the cardboard seat divider behind the back seat with some sheet aluminum or even steel, and rivet it regularly around the outside. You can also get some Tank Armor from http://www.autoworksracing.com/gas_tank_armor.htm , but it isn't cheap. You could probably make yourself some, but I would recommend the backseat divider above all.

Oh and you could fill your trunk with concrete.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: thekingofazle on 7/14/06 6:47am ]</font>

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
metal backseat divider for one and then build a false bottom metal trunk floor. Hard part is the gas pipe. Built a box to house it.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Basically though, if you get hit hard enough, It doesn't really matter what you put in front of the gas tank. And covering the filler neck with some bits of sheetmetal probably won't make that much of a difference.

But covering the tank might at least keep the gasoline from squirting into your lap.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
On 2006-07-13 13:34, SCHOONER wrote:
On 2006-07-13 13:25, dfree383 wrote:
Hey WiseGuy

Thank you for your imput. First I would want you to wrap it around your front seat and tell me how it feels . . . lol

I believe this site is to be helpful. I would appreciate good imput and I'm sure almost all the guys on this webpage would too.

So Please lets keep it above board and try to be helpful to one another.

GOD bless you dfree383
ILMFAO !! That would be pretty freakin' itchy. Their is no pratical way to "Fire Proof" an automotive fuel tank, The Steel or Aluminum Cells will resist for a very short period. You may be better off looking into a fire suppression system, if you are concerned about fire.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On 2006-07-13 15:45, CaptVirgilHilts wrote:
What year and body style is it? Only a fuel cell will give you the best fire resistance. Covering the well in 18 gauge steel is a good idea. Also on a coupe you can buy metal barriers for the rear bulkhead or make one yourself, bear in mind a coupe has a pile of holes on the parcel shelf too. If you really want to go nuts get some "firestopping" caulking to seal the sheet metal around were you bolt it to the trunk floor. The Intumescent putty style swells if it is subjected to the heat of a fire to stop products of combustion getting through the gaps. Stu
Hey Stu

Thanks for your impute.
I have a '66 Mustang Convert. Maybe that's why I don't have a fiber board in the truck area.

About that great suggestion, in getting ' FIREPROOK CHALKING '
Is that the right name of it ?
Where would I buy that chalking?

A fuel cell is way too $$$$ expensive. So I'll opt to make my own protective shield around and under my new 22gal. tank that's coming either today (Sat.14th.) or durning next week.

Here's the deal. Cover the new tank with some kind of fire prooking material (Wrap it all around it)
Then make a sheet metal box for it.
Finally, install it and CHALK IT, hopefully with that great suggest you made: FIREPROOF CHALKING.

THANK YOU STU
GOD BLESS

Schooner

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
In my 66, I put a false trunk floor. More then anything else putting stuff in the trunk does bang on the gas tank. Then I put a metal divider piece behind the rear seat. After that it won't matter. On my 71 Torino, the tank is the trunk floor, again I put the false floor an seat divider. Big difference is that on the Torinos the gas fill is part of the tank and goes out the back behind the license plate. Now fuel cells do break open but the big difference is the foam in them stops the fuel from spraying everywhere.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
It doesn't matter how much you fireproof the back, if you get hit hard enough for you to need it (ie, your gas tank catches fire,) there are going to be some nasty holes somewhere, more than a little intumescent insulation is going to fix.

The vast majority of vehicle fires start in the engine compartment, second to electrical problems under the dash.

If the tank is going to rupture, I don't think a few layers of foam insulation is going to keep it safe

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
The foam is to stop internal sloshing on acceleration, deceleration and cornering, it has nothing to do with srpaying of fuel on rupture (or very little). The biggest thing about a fuel cell is the offer better pick-up positioning and rapture safety over older stock tanks. THEY ARE NOT Fire proof !! at most they will "restist" fire for a brief moment (if you get a steel or aluminum one). Suggestions on putting a fire wall behind your rear seat is a valid suggestion for safety and is required by most sanctioning body's if you have a fuel tank in the trunk.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dfree383 on 7/15/06 2:02am ]</font>

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Also - you can throw a match in a gas tank and its going to go out almost 100% of the time.

I also 100% encourage you NOT TO DO THIS!

But typically, there is no air inside the tank - it is displaced by the gasoline vapors. At most, you will get a small flickering flame at the mouth of the filler neck, where oxygen is available. If your tank is empty and has been open, there will be air in it (hence tanks exploding when you try and weld them)

But if you hold a blowtorch to the bottom of a full gas tank, you are not going to ignite it for a very long time. You'll boil off the gasoline slowly and create vapors that can escape the tank and will cause an explosion, but the tank itself will not explode.

Chuck Norris movies are very inaccurate in this respect.

Also, Mythbusters did an experiment where they shot holes through a full gas tank with a high power rifle, surprise surprise, no fire.

The info about fuel cells is correct - the foam or bladder is pretty much just there so G-forces can't pull gasoline away from the pickup. It helps retain the fuel in a terrible wreck, sure, but its also thicker metal, hence the protection.

·
Registered
743 Posts
not chalking, caulking
it probably comes in teh same form/tube as like tile caulk

i was unaware they made a fire resistant caulk, very interesting, might have to look into it

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Just a clarification. The trick IMO is to use steel to add another barrier between the tank and the trunk by making a new false trunk floor. Also add a trunk divider to which BTW will add some stiffening to the back too. The false floor will have to be bolted or screwed down on its perimeter. The chaulking was merely to seal it. You could use silcone etc if you want. I just figured firestopping chaulking would be better.

Most problems with these tanks have been from extremely hard hits that rupture the tank. The trick is not to have the explosion and fuel splash up forward through trrunk and the back seat area. Adding barriers should help in that regard.
Ever notice the plastic sheilds around gas tanks? Thank the Pinto for that. The original exploding Pinto tanks were caused when a much larger vehicle ( the first one was a Lincoln town car I believe) hits the truncated little Pinto and drives the fuel tank into the rear axle which is jagged and ruptures it..sparks... bang...

BTW Firestopping chaulking or putty is NOT cheap. It can be bought at any decent industrial supply or fastener supply house. It is for filling conduits and slots between floors and walls of buildings and is available in a chaulking gun style tube. Kingofazle is correct, if the tank blows up the force will be the big issue; the trick is just directing the force away from you buying you extra time to escape the wreck. Stu

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Modern cars have a huge metal frame around them to keep it from rupturing too - thats part of the reason newer cars weigh so much.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Most cars have "saddle" or "belly" tanks nowadays that sit in front of the rear axle and thus don't get hit in a rear ender. Even Fox Mustangs had blow up issues if hit hard enough. Stu

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
Bottom line is nothing is 100% flameproof. Just make the best protect you can. And if you think this setup is bad, you should see the older trucks with the gas tank in the cab behind the set. Always made me wonder when someone was smoking.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
On 2006-07-14 14:28, pass1over wrote:
not chalking, caulking
it probably comes in teh same form/tube as like tile caulk

i was unaware they made a fire resistant caulk, very interesting, might have to look into it
Hi Pass1over

Go to LOWE'S there's were I bought my; FIRE STOPPER that's what its called.

Get ready to pay $14.17 for the tube. It's made by: DAP,
comes in a mostly green tube. color stated on tube is; LIMESTONE GRAY.

After making the sheet metal box that will surround the new 22gal. fuel tank (somewhat like a fuel cell) I'll run a bead all around the inside of the body pereamitor, set the protective sheet metal box on it to seal it. Then drive sheet metal screws to hold that baby in place.

P.S. the bottom of the new fuel tank will also have a sheet metal protective barrier too.

Anything else concern this project please don't heitate to post.

Thanks
GOD BLESS

Schooner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts