Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Silly question but what order do I put the window winder back on?

I have the round plstic disk, the big spring, the winder and the c clip
What order do the go on?

thanks

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
Don't mean to hyjack this thread but does anybody know where I can get the big spring for the inside door opener handle for a '64 Galaxie XL? I've checked Dearborn Classics, Dennis Carpenter, and AutoKrafters, no luck. The handle on the drivers side still works but is very loose.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
I have the panel off , I'll take a pic tomorrow and send it.
Thanks FE

·
Administrator
21,795 Posts
Probably the same one as mine that is screwed up and doesn't return the handle i have to push it to upright after opening the door. Think it's that coiled up type one that reminds me of a clock spring or toy wind up car. But i haven't seen the inside of my door in years so forgot what it looks like exactly. I forget mine doesn't work i just automatically push it forward after i unlatch the door. I don't even know how long it's been like that or maybe it's always been since i've had it. lol Bet you have one in your collection gary.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Silly question but what order do I put the window winder back on?

I have the round plstic disk, the big spring, the winder and the c clip
What order do the go on?

thanks
Usually like this:
install the spring between the mechanism and the panel,....large end on the panel, small end on the mechanism.

install panel

insert the clip in the slots on the handle. You may have to bend the ends of the clip towards each other to tighten up it's grip on the handle. But not too much,.....looking in the splined hole on the handle with the clip installed, there should be enough of the ends of the clip sticking through the slots into the center of the hole to snap into the groove on the mechanism shaft.

hold the washer over the hole on the door panel with the, (if it has one), lip in the hole in door panel.

push the handle on to the splined mechanism shaft till the clip snaps into to groove on the shaft locking it in place.

As for the door handle spring, mine is a coil spring wound around the shaft like a watch spring. It's broken. No replacements available that I know of short of a salvage yard. Even if I found a spring, the damned assembly is spot welded together. I'm looking for someone parting out a 63 Ford that might have the same part. I'm sure it's not year or model specific.

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
I measured the spring about .011, it's about a 1-1/2 " diameter coil. One end curls out, probably to hook on something and the other end of the coil goes around about 1-3/8" and is straight. I suppose the end that is straight is broken off. Haven't found any pieces while feeling around. I have to pull the handle almost all the way back before it opens the door. The 'spring' just hangs there around the handle. I will have to remove the handle and three bolts to remove the bracket that bolts to the door. No biggie, just don't want to remove it until I get another spring since it will still open the door.
Thanks. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts