Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I went out to tune the timing a bit with my new timing light (old one broke), and figured I'd tune the carb a little while I was at it.

Anyhow, I was surprised to find my timing was at 0*!
No wonder it was sluggish and didn't run too well until warmed up.

So I advanced it up to 6* and test drove, then kept giving it some more. I finally settled in on 10* and put a little less tension on the springs to let it advance quicker. I get a slight bit of pinging in high gear under a heavy load (up steep hill), but I'm not worried about that. I also jetted down to 65 from 67, and it drives very nicely now on the leaner jets since it has a decent bit of timing.

I have the timing set to come in pretty slow. I don't have a tach (just a cheapy tuning thingy that goes to 1500), but by doing some math it seems I get total mechanical advance at about 4000 RPM. When running hard in 1st and I get up to that RPM it pings like you wouldn't believe. Total timing should be 36* (10 initial + 26 mechanical). I'm not sure though if that's what it actually is. Looking at the balancer (which only goes up to 30*) it looks like it may be in the ballpark of 40*. Not sure though.

In any case, the point is that I need to limit my total timing more tha the distributor will allow me to. I have only a 13L slot and a 17L slot. How can I limit the mechanical advance more than I already am? I'm hoping if I limit it enough to get a safe margin from pinging I may be able to even run a quicker advance curve.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Here are three options that may work for you.

1. Look through the junkyard for a plate with lower numbers i.e. 13L (26 degrees) or 10L (20 degrees).

2. Another item to look for would be a small plastic clip the snaps on to the tab in the timing slot. I found one in a truck; it limited the total a few degrees.

3. Tack weld or solder a portion of the slot closed, then file away until you get the desired timing total.

Hope this helps. What distributor are you using?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure about solder... I wonder if it might not hold the greatest. I don't have a welder, but I am thinking I'll use some JB-Weld (epoxy) on it and see how that works. I figure 30* total advance, maybe a hair more would probably be about right for this engine. As it is the 36*+ it's getting is too much.

The distributor was from my '67 Galaxie's 289. I am fairly sure it was original to that car, it's a C7 part number (don't know the rest off the top of my head).

Anyhow, Thursday I'll have more time to spend with the car so I'll try the epoxy then and see how it goes. Hopefully that will get it running like it should. Then in a month or so I may be getting some new heads, which would cure all my problems and let me run 87 octane as well!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did the JB-Weld this morning. I think I limited mechanical a little more than necessary so I may file down the JB-Weld to let it advance a little more.

After putting it back together I put the timing light on it and my initial is now at 11*, with a total mechanical of 29. That would be about 9* distributor advance, or about where it would be with a 10L plate. I also loosened up the springs a little to let it advance more quickly. When I hooked up the vacuum advance it went up to about 35-37, but I'm not sure how indicative of what it is during actual driving.

Anyhow, I left it at the new 11* initial setting and took for a test drive. Seems to run nicely, and no pinging at high RPM blasts. I'm happy.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top