Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey how hard is it to change out a lower control arm? I've done a lot but never a lower control arm. Many of the old timers I've asked have told me its a pain.

By looking at my knew part it looks simple enough.

It's on a 67 Fairlane. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
If I recall correctly, the shock will keep the UCA from dropping to much and keep the spring from shooting out.

There is a tool drawing in some of the older manuals, you can make it and it wedges between the frame rail and the bottom of the UCA. It also supports the UCA.

Don't think its a big job. Not like removing the UCA.

Somebody will correct me though if I'm wrong.

Jet

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok cool, thanks for the advice. tore down the front end before. and i regret not replacing the lower control arms. so now i have to replace em. well one for now :)

i just hope it wont jack with my alignment. or the cander. not sure how it would but a lot of shade tree machanics have said that. sooo IDK

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
It may have the adjustments at the inboard end of the LCA like some of the Mustangs. Look for a Eccentric under the bolt head and maybe under the nut. Mark them before removing. Should put you back close enough to drive it for a reallignment.

Somebody with a 67 Fairlane needs to chime in. Or FE?

Jet

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah thought so, dang it i was hoping i wouldnt need an alignment. oh well

no the top spring will be fine, i know that for sure.

thanks for the help. im going to repost this in the fairlane section.

·
Registered
94 Posts
That's one of the reasons that I have alignment equipment. If your control arms are worn enough that you are replacing them...you needed an alignment anyway.

·
Registered
146 Posts
If you are doing one you should do both IMO.You set the camber on the lower control arms.They make a camber eccentric eliminator kit that locks the camber in so it doesn't move around when you hit potholes or other things.I have an eliminator kit on my wagon.My alignment shop hated setting it up but thought it was great otherwise.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you are doing one you should do both IMO.You set the camber on the lower control arms.They make a camber eccentric eliminator kit that locks the camber in so it doesn't move around when you hit potholes or other things.I have an eliminator kit on my wagon.My alignment shop hated setting it up but thought it was great otherwise.
hmm do elaborate, where and how much? i have never needed an alignment on my fairlane even with the front end work ive done.

·
Registered
436 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I dropped my lower control arm on a 74 Ranchero to remove the springs and it is a real pain for me to get it back in. Lining up the bolt holes in the bushing with the frame just isn't happening. I think maybe the bushings swelled up because it just keeps getting wedged in. I'm a newb but yeah it's been a pain in the ass for me too. Don't wanna hijack but maybe someone has some tips?

·
Registered
94 Posts
'74 completely different from a '67! You should NOT have removed the control arm to change springs. You should have separated the ball joint and swung the lower control arm out of the way. Unfortunately, should da'/could da' isn't helping you get the front end back together. I would separate the ball joint so you can re-install the lower control arm bushing bolts. Now you will have the leverage of the control arm to push the spring back into place and re-install the ball joint nut.

I am very concerned how many people are dismantling front suspensions without tools, help, or knowledge. Someone is going to get their head taken off!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
'74 completely different from a '67! You should NOT have removed the control arm to change springs. You should have separated the ball joint and swung the lower control arm out of the way. Unfortunately, should da'/could da' isn't helping you get the front end back together. I would separate the ball joint so you can re-install the lower control arm bushing bolts. Now you will have the leverage of the control arm to push the spring back into place and re-install the ball joint nut.
Thanks for that. The reason I removed the control arm bolt was because I was going by the 1974 Ford shop manual for my car. (see attached pic). I followed their instructons for removing the front spring. Of course now after being aggravated with the damn thing, the lower ball joint would be a better option.

I am very concerned how many people are dismantling front suspensions without tools, help, or knowledge. Someone is going to get their head taken off!!
I see where you're coming from but I've taken my car to 3 shops and no one wants to touch the damn thing. I bought a mess and nobody has old cars around here (15 minutes outside Manhattan in Jersey). The instructions looked pretty clear and I did have the right tools (not sure why you mentioned that). I had a jack, spring compressor and torque wrench and everything else required to what the instructions required. What I lack is the experience but that was kind of the whole point of buying my 1st classic car to work on. To learn by doing. In this case, I was willing to pay an expert. No one wanted to take it so here I am.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts