Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey how hard is it to change out a lower control arm? I've done a lot but never a lower control arm. Many of the old timers I've asked have told me its a pain.

By looking at my knew part it looks simple enough.

It's on a 67 Fairlane. Thanks

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
It is simple if you have two tools: a good spring compressor and a ball joint extractor. If you don't have a ball joint extractor, you will have to beat the hell out of the lower ball joint with a pickle fork to break it loose from the spindle. It will come loose, but the ball joint will be ruined. No big deal though, as they are cheap and should be replaced anyway if they have many miles on them. In fact, most replacement lower control arms come with a new ball joint already installed, as I recall. And getting the old ball joint off of the LCA if it is revited is damn near impossible. The hardest part of the whole procedure is removing the coil spring. You have to pull the shock mounting caps and the shock, compress the spring and remove it, and then break the ball joint loose. Removing coil springs under compression can be intimidating the first time. You will need a helper to hold the thing from rotating while you compress it. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Opps!, I was thinking about the upper control arm all the time I was writing this. Disregard! You don't need to remove the spring for the lower control arm, but what i said about the removal of the ball joint still holds.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Pickle forks kind of work to separate ball joints, but not as easily as they should. Almost every time I've used one, they've bottomed out and gotten stuck. I like the homemade tool someone posted in the tech articles section. The pictures are gone from the post, but there is a thumbnail still there that you can kind of see it. It is basically a bolt and a threaded hex sleeve that extend between the upper and lower ball joint studs to press them out.

http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/sus...3-non-damaging-ball-joint-removal-tool-2.html

·
Registered
718 Posts
break the lug nuts loose and then put a jack under the lca and jack the tire off the ground. put a jack stand under the car. put a piece of 2x4 between the uca and frame rail. let the car down on the jack stand. take the wheel off. loosen the nut on the lca until the top of the nut is a tad above the lca ball joint stud. take a 4 pound mal and hit the top of the nut. when the ball joint is loose leave the nut on. next remove the 2 nuts from the strut rod, do not try to turn the bolt heads because the bolts are nurled and pressed into the strut rod. take the nut off the ball joint and unbolt the lca from the frame. after installing a new lca be sure to tighten all bolts to spec. take the car in for an alignment.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Pickle forks kind of work to separate ball joints, but not as easily as they should. Almost every time I've used one, they've bottomed out and gotten stuck. I like the homemade tool someone posted in the tech articles section. The pictures are gone from the post, but there is a thumbnail still there that you can kind of see it. It is basically a bolt and a threaded hex sleeve that extend between the upper and lower ball joint studs to press them out.

http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/sus...3-non-damaging-ball-joint-removal-tool-2.html
yep those are nice. one of these days i'm going to make juan !

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
I made one of those ball joint separators as described in the thread by Dazecars and no matter how much pressure I put on the wrechs the thing would not pop. Thant's when I went to the pickle fork and it popped after a few good whacks but ruined the joints, of course. I didn't care as I was replacing everything including the LCA. You can buy new heavy duty LCA's already loaded with a new ball joint for about $40.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts