Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my 1/2" return fuel line installed, so I was able to pull out my dead head style regulator at the pump. I had it installed because my stock fuel line (as a return) wouldn't let the pressure at my carb get below 13 psi. So the pump is now totally freeflowing and it got a lot louder. I thought it would've got quieter, but guess I was wrong. I have 6" of rubber line on each side of the pump and rubber isolaters between the pump and frame(they are for mounting an oil tank to the frame of a Harley). Any other suggestions? It really buzzes good.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
The hard rubber mounts (which I assume you're using, never seen the ones you're talking about) still transmit the vibration straight to the metal.

What Mike suggested is a good idea - since its relatively slack, little vibration gets transmitted.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Is it mounted outside? or inside the car?

Better Isolation (the one previous post is a great idea)

Building a foam lined box may help, if your that disturbed by it ???? But might cause durability problems from heat???

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dfree383 on 7/28/06 10:45pm ]</font>

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Thats one reason the factories started putting fuel pumps inside the gas tank. The gasoline acts as a coolant, a lubricant and cuts down on sound and vibrations.

Hard rubber better at stopping shock, doesn't do so much for vibration, especially if the bolts go thru the rubber to the frame and attach to the pump brackets too. What you want is to isolate the pump from direct contact with the frame.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On 2006-07-27 18:41, n2omike wrote:
Hmmm.... It should have gotten quieter.

The best way to isolate the pump from the body and make it quieter is to mount it on an old 'strap' type exhaust hanger.
Thanks Mike. I mounted it on one of those 360 degree strap type exhaust hangers and it is basically silent. I have to bend down and get right by the pump to hear it. I did relocate the pump at the same time. It was mounted on my frame, about where the box and cab meet. It was too far from the tank and I think it was too high. My fuel pressure gauge always seemed to flutter a little bit and I think it was air. Well, now that is within 8 inches of my tank and the inlet is lower than the lowest part of the tank, it is awesome. Super quiet and the whole pump assembly doesn't shake/vibrate nearly as much at before. Thanks for the advice, ended up working out great!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts