Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed Edelbrock performer manifold with 600 vacuum Holley (universal linkage).
Now i can't use kickdown rod, even i have Holley's extension kit.
What to do, is there somewhere a bolt-on rod, or how do i hook up mmy kickdown?

·
Registered
522 Posts
A Holley carb requires a Ford specific kick-down linkage. As far as I know there is no way to add this linkage without removing it from a carb with it, and adding it. This would not be easy. Thats why they are listed as Ford/Chev./Mopar carbs.

·
Registered
596 Posts
'70 Gallixy is right.
Because of my application I wasn't able to use the kickdown bar, I had to switch to Lockar's kickdown cable and it bolted right up. If you go that route you have to flip the lever on the trans. Edelebrock sells their carb with a switch over linkage.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Real street cars and race cars don't have kick down linkage.

Actually the kickdown linkage is not absultely required for the transmission. When the rod accuates and kicks the tranny down a gear, all you are doing is dropping the tranny in to second gear if a C4/C6. I wouldn't worry about hooking it up and if the modulator didn't kick it down a gear under low vacuum, then pull the shift lever back to second if you need mroe gear.

another alternative to trying to hook it up, find a base plate off another holley with the ford linkage and replace your base plate.

·
Registered
283 Posts
The kickdown will also max out the line pressure in the transmission, providing a more positive shift in all gears. Real STREET cars DO have a kickdown, if their owners don't subscribe to the BFH theory of mechanics.

If your carb does not have the Ford kickdown setup, you have a couple options. Get a used 600 from a swap, junkyard etc, and swap baseplates. Get another carb with the linkage, or if you have a welder, and come across a broken baseplate with the linkage, you can grind off the swedge on the end of the throttle shaft, install the linkage, and weld the throttle arm back on the shaft. If your kickdown rod is still too short, get a piece of steel pipe or rod that is large enough to fit over or in the kickdown tube. Cut the tube behind the carb in a straight area. Install your extension, and weld back together. Finding the correct rod is often a huge PITA, so this is one way to get something that works.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hemikiller on 4/13/02 3:21am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Make your own! I can't remember if we used half inch or five eighths threaded rod, but it worked. Make a L shaped bracket for each end. If you make it work it will be the cheapest best performance mod you will ever do. It will actually make a big difference in how long it holds a gear at full throttle. It's like turning grandma's shift at 3 grand car into a 5500 rpm fun machine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts