Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to start my engine for the first time. Toploader is installed but not driveshaft. Can someone tell me how to put it in neutral? I haven't purchased a shifter yet or linkages (in order to pit in neutral) and don't want tranny spinning during break in... never had a four speed in my car :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'm getting ready to start my engine for the first time. Toploader is installed but not driveshaft. Can someone tell me how to put it in neutral? I haven't purchased a shifter yet or linkages (in order to pit in neutral) and don't want tranny spinning during break in... never had a four speed in my car :)
No experience with a ford top loader...but, if you can stick SOMETHING in the shifter location that wont gaul the inernds, it should be easy to put into neutral. Halfway between all the way forward, and all the way back, it should almost feel like its "popping" out of a gear...dunno if this helps or even applies here, good luck.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
pliers and a adj. wrench on hand

pliers turn the out putshaft if it turns , that N . adjustable size to shift shafts try turn any one of the 3 (L or R) one that turns is the one in gear . move it till the output turns

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Each of the three levers will have three positions...A forward position a middle position and a rearward position.Each one must be in the middle position....You can tighten the nut on each one and then turn it with a wrench or use some pliers if you don't have the nuts either....Having said all that it won't hurt anything to let it spin during break in...

·
Registered
241 Posts
So, a toploader does not have a shifter similar to a muncie sm465, or a T5 where as the shifter has a top plate and housing ontop of the trans? It has levers on the outside of the trans housing? Not hijacking here, just trying to confirm.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
So, a toploader does not have a shifter similar to a muncie sm465, or a T5 where as the shifter has a top plate and housing ontop of the trans? It has levers on the outside of the trans housing? Not hijacking here, just trying to confirm.
Correct--the levers are on the side of the "classic style" toploaders:

The external shifter mounts on the tailshaft, like the "Classic" original Muncie's, Saginaws, 833's, and other manual transmissions from the 60's and early 70's.

The 10 bolt cover is the top of the transmission and the reason for its name since the guts are installed through the top.

There are Jeep variants that have a shifter that goes through the top cover and there are also Ford SROD versions that have the shifter mounted in the tailhousing.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
Each of the three levers will have three positions.
Not quite Willy.

The front most lever and the rear most lever have 3 distinct positions.
The center lever is for reverse so it has only 2 distinct positions.

Neutral on the front and on the rear are the center positions. Neutral on the center lever is when the lever is turned fully CCW.

Hank, as you can see, I normally use a Crescent wrench to move the internal levers. Note that you can only move a lever to another position if and only if the other 2 levers are in neutral.

Begin by putting your wrench on a lever and if it doesn't move one way or the other with about 5lbs of force while rotating the input shaft a little back and forth, move on to another lever until you find the one that does move. (Don't try to put full force on any of the levers as it will cause internal damage.)

Put the lever that moves into the center position (again, only if its the front or rear lever), or CCW if its the center lever that moves. Once you get that particular lever in the appropriate position, the transmission will be in neutral as can be determined by spinning the input shaft and holding the output shaft in place. When you can hold the output shaft in place, you are in neutral.

Without a driveshaft, the output shaft will still try to spin some while the engine is running even in neutral. Make sure that you install some lube in the tranny before starting so that the bearings and rollers don't dry out-which would be very, very bad. Unfortunately this means that some of the lube will want to leak out of the rear of the tranny, which isn't going to hurt anything unless it gets on the exhaust pipe.

For this reason it is best to have the driveshaft installed when starting the engine.

·
Registered
718 Posts
make sure you put gear oil in it. even in neutral the front bearing and cluster gear and reverse idler assymbly will be spinning and it will burn up without oil. take the trans yoke and stick in in the back so oil doesnt come out. take some #12 wire or some other similar wire and rum through the u-joint holes in the yoke and tie it off to the trans case or crossmember or something to keep the yoke from spinning. even with the trans in neutral the output shaft could still spin. my name aint shiftthis for nothin !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.