Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

I came across needing to get my quarter window frames rechromed, ya costly oversight I know, and was wondering if I'm missing the boat on how to remove the rollers. They seem to have to be drilled out, just wondering if I'm making the right assumption before I tear it off. They're old, so I should probably replace anyways especially versus cost. Any tips?? Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
Hmmm, i was thinking they had a clip, kind of like a C clip on them. Kind of like there are on the window roller handled to remove them. Don't remember what the quarter windows have though but thought they were the same. Guess not.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Mine had an orange plastic roller held in with a retaining clip.
How's it coming?

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's coming good, going to drill them out one way or another because tomorrow it's off to chrome shop. The rest of the trim turned out fantastic, not bad for a novice polisher. After I go to the chrome platers, I'm going to see if my car is painted in whole or not, I figure why not! I'll keep posted. Hey Greg, holy woooooooooooowwwwwwwwww, it's cold where you live!!!!! Detroit seems tropical by comparison, changes coming tomorrow afternoon, but only expected to be low 30's for highs, mid 20's for lows so no complaining here.

I thaught they rollers were held in by clips too Deb, like I said a little oversight. Car resto is fun and budget oriented. It's been a blast all in all, something new everyday. I'll go disassemble now, talk to y'all later.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
The rear side windows are the last parts on my car that I didn't have done. They were sitting in the bottom of rear skin with the glass in them so I didn't see them when I was grabbing parts to polish or send off to rechrome. Nice to see you are atleast one step ahead of me. Mine aren't horrible but when the rest of the car looks shiney it kinda makes me 1. want to keep the rear windows down 2. kick myself in the arse. Good luck with em.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Yea, I know the rears definately have a u shaped spring clip holding them on . I just got done taking the rears out of mine. It was a pain since it was almost like someone lubricated the track with elmers glue. If they are out already and no clip they might just be froze.

What did every body use to relubricate them. I think anti seize would work good.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, the rollers are out. They look to be a rivet inside of a collar, but I ground the rivet, punched it out and kinda examined. The rollers are good, just gotta see what a new kit consists of otherwise I'll reuse and retrofit. I called and it looks to be about 200 bucks a side to rechrome. Not too bad, but they need it. Taking the window out of the frame was easy, remembering to be gentle with the rubber weatherstrip around the glass. Now I can clean the whole window, polish the scratches or ??? and polish the top stainless off the window (alot easier than on the frame assembled). Same scenario, forgot all about them, figured it was all stainless like the front doors, oh well.

When reassembling, I will use a window track lube I got at the Ford dealer, but antisieze will work fine.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 64GALAXIE514 on 12/1/06 8:23am ]</font>

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I dunno, really mine are seemingly classified as 65-70 style so I can't say. I've got a month to figure it out so hopefully I will. My car was an Atlanta car built toward the end of Jan 64 if that makes any difference. I've gotta make another parts house order so maybe I'll ask them what their kits consist of.

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
Maybe that is the difference like you say. Being later in the year possibly. I'm not even sure how mine are held in, now I have to look as mine was built in April of '64.

Deb

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, just add them to the christmas list, painter added some plugs etc too so the list grows. The parts are at the platers, and drove by to see the car, it should be bieng painted as we speak. I arrived as he was final taping and wiping it down, tomorrow it will be done. I will be back later in the week when he's done polishing and sanding, basically ready to leave. But in the mean time, I'll investigate these damn rollers.

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
I'd like to see a pic of those rollers if you can take one. Hadn't seen those before so just curious what they look like. Sounds like progress is being made though!

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I went looking yesterday, found other rollers on the other window parts, the scissor black pieces, can't think of their name off hand. They are green and have the horseshoe clip, so I'm curious if those are the ones for sale by mail order houses and not the ones I need.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Check the build date on the car. If it was made before Feb. 17, 1964 it is an early model. My car was built April 26, 1964 and I found a lot of changes on it. The February date is something I picked up when building my car.

Early models shared a lot of left over parts from the 63 1/2 Fastbacks. My friend is building an early model now and there are a lot of things different.

If you are replacing the rear window seal: The early ones had a full rubber seal, and the later rear windows were glued in.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rayell on 12/3/06 6:43am ]</font>

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I lost my data plate but all dates on the car suggest late Jan, early Feb 64 build. My rear window was Butyl or glued, but I'm going to put the rubber in.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
You should measure your rear glass real good. The glasses and seals are two different sizes, as well as the openings.

The top stampings are different on my car and the early one that my buddy has. I was going to use the rubber weatherstrip that I bought from Dennis Carpenter and it would'nt work, so he bought it from me, and I had to use the butyl kit.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good point, didn't even consider it when I bought it, did so along with mainly every other rubber piece so got mixed. I will be talking to glass guy my dad knows, he'll be installing the front and rear.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
I finally see what your saying on the rollers. I totally forgot about the ones on the window assy. If i think of it ill post a pic.It will have to be somthing as solid as a rivet to hold them back in, a screw might back out after a while.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts