Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's one piece with the box. I'm rebuilding my box, so I'm taking it all apart.

Got the box out (that was fun...), got the sector shaft out, and per the manual the next thing to do is remove the "steering shaft bearing adjuster and cup", then pull the steering shaft and ball nut out.

Unfortunately, I can't for the life of me get the giant lock nut on the bearing retainer to turn.

It's bigger than my biggest pair of channel locks, and no amount of hammer+punch action on the notches in it is getting it to turn. Heat and PB Blaster have been liberally employed.

I'm assuming the order of disassembly is lock nut, then bearing retainer, right?

Am I missing something?
Is something reverse threaded?
Not threaded at all, i.e. is that "lock nut" actually not a nut?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hey that shaft is one piece with the box...whats wrong with you?
Haha just kidding :)
Its probably rusted in place.
Check out this diagram http://www.stangerssite.com/HowItWorksSteeringBox.html
Looks like the large nut locks the adjustment nut; so "yes" it is threaded.
Put away your claw hammer and chisel and stow your channel locks and get one of these:
Catalog No. C711H Product Detail
http://www.mytoolstore.com/diamond/dmdpage.html
Ive heard it called a "Ford" wrench (I have a very old one that actually has the "Ford" emblem/script on it.) The manufacturer calls it an "Auto Wrench". And its great for all kinds of bigger jobs.
And some of this would help http://www.kanolabs.com/

Be pateint and good luck! Itll come out...although you may have to replace it.

Joe

·
Registered
634 Posts
Have you got any friends that are plumbers ? Ask if you can use one of their large pipe wrenches , it will work.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got it.

Additional application of heat and thinking solved it.

I was heating the box housing, not the lock nut itself. Helps to expand the nut if you're trying to loosen it :rolleyes:. Also switched from hitting it with a rubber-handled pry bar to an all-metal bolt, which helps get a nice shock load in there.

Anyway, got it off and the rest of the rebuild went pretty smoothly. Getting the ball bearing cups out of blind holes required a little bit of creativity; namely heat, PB blaster and assorted pull/pry tools.

The ball nut has very minimal play on the steering shaft and no tightness/binding, so I just left it intact.

I don't have an inch-pound torque wrench that goes down to single-digits, so I pretty much snugged things up and guestimated torque while twisting the shaft for the ball nut adjustment, then doubled that guestimate when doing the sector shaft. Depending on time, I might go see if I can pick up a dainty torque wrench.

Pulling that box out of the car reminded me a lot learning (and observing :eek:) how a baby makes it out the birth canal (twist, push, rotate, push this thing out of the way, push harder and swear). Based on that...not looking forward to putting it back in.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1 - 6 of 6 Posts