Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '63 300 2dr with top loader 4-speed. The original shifter is very sloppy. I want to retain the factory shifter, any tips on fixing this problem. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
A guy in MD sell rebuilt shifters or the parts to fix yours. Bill Heeley 1-240-449-0635.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
There are kits to do rebuilds of the Ford shifter but I tightened mine up a lot by replacing it with a Hurst Competition Plus shifter and stuck the original shifter in a box for the next owner. I fabbed a small bracket to allow the Ford factory shifter handle to fit the Hurst shifter. Auto Krafters even makes a bracket if you don't feel like investing the hour to do it. Hurst discontinued the the shifter for the Ford T-10 (I have the original T-10 in my 63.5) but I presume they are out there. I found one. 373-3166 is the Hurst number.

·
Registered
124 Posts
bought a 63.5 2dt HT with a 429/4 speed. Shifter was super sloppy. Could barely get it into gear and shift. I just bought a new Hurst Comp Plus shifter and installation kit from Summit Racing. Shifts great now.

The trans came out of a 67-69 Fairlane according to the numbers on the case so I bought the shifter for a 63 Galaxie and the install kit for a 67-69 Fairlane. Guess I should have bought a shifter for a Fairlane too. Turns out the 3-4 rod was 2 1/2" short and reverse rod was 4 1/2" short. Instead of trying to get new rods from Hurst I just cut and lengthened the short rods.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts