Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While transferring my 390 from engine mount to hoist it dropped, right on the oil pan. I kept working and now I have a few bolts holding the block to the bellhousing and am fixin to lower the engine and bolt everything up. What do you think about this pan? it's not leaking at the dent...I do have another pan but it will take the rest of the day to swap them.

Attachments

·
Registered
695 Posts
Take the time and change it out or at the least pull off the dented one and pound the dent out. The pan may be shoved up to the oil pickup and you wouldn't know it until you pull the pan and measure everything.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Ouch!! X2
Definately pull it. Other things may have gotten damaged as well. How far off the floor was it when it fell?

·
Premium Member
5,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ouch!! X2
Definately pull it. Other things may have gotten damaged as well. How far off the floor was it when it fell?

It was on an engine stand, 2+ feet. I had the hoist on it with all the slack out of the chain to hold it when I pulled the last bolt. but one of the legs of the hoist was folded back. Apparently you need to use both legs of a hoist to make it work properly. Jeez!

·
Premium Member
3,340 Posts
yeah, better pull it apart...gaskets likely shifted at the seals anyway...hope the pickup/tube/pump are ok. look closely at the timing cover area too, make sure it didnt shift anything enough to hurt that.

just looked at that pic again, man I hope it didnt crack the oilpump mount... looks to be a deeper dent than would clear the pickup...

I dropped a 396 chevy once, rolling it towards my truck, the front caster on my stand caught a chip in the cement or something and it stopped/flipped right over smashing a new cast valvecover, 2 rocker studs, and a good carb was no more...I was so pissed at myself... I bought a stand off a buddy that weighs several hundred pounds- king kong couldnt flip it, and the 5~6 inch iron wheels roll soooooo easy...

·
Premium Member
5,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All right. I pulled the pan from the 352 and will paint it tomorrow. Then I guess creep under the car and drain and R/R the pan that's on there now. It's a setback but weather looks good for next week. Maybe I can get everything screwed together by then and fire this baby up.

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
Check real closely for cracks and bending, especially in the pickup, pump, and timing cover. Your pickup will probably have to be replaced, as I had an incident with a 428 with less pan damage, and it trashed the pickup with both a slight bend and a crack. I could have bent it back, but it would have sucked air instead of oil if I hadn't seen the little crack.

David

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
It appears that the first impact was when the pan hit the floor? What was the second impact? Was it the the crank or bell housing or flywheel/flex plate?
I would not use that pump or the pickup and if the pump standoff is broken then I would replace the shaft and possibly the distributor.

If the crank or something connected to the back of the crank was involved in the secondary impact I would also closely inspect all those parts for cracks or bends.

I had almost the same thing happen to me when the stand fell over and it damaged all the pieces I listed above and my pan was not bent nearly as bad as yours.

Scott...

·
Premium Member
3,668 Posts
Outch....
what a bummer.....
i feel your pain......
at least you can use oil pan and pickup from the 352....;)

·
Registered
960 Posts
I done the same when dropping the 390 in my 65 country squire but did not do as much damage,was able to jack the motor up and get the pan off.

·
Premium Member
5,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
New pan installed. What a job, if I'd a known that, I would a left it alone. Also checked gear cover, no cracks. Replaced the pickup arm with another one, just in case.

I torqued the pan nuts till I could see the cork gasket just barely swelling out. Should I go a little tighter?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,340 Posts
glad nothing was busted...know its a PITA to pull a pan in the chassis, but better safe than sorry IMO :)

last pan I pulled while in the vehicle was on a old 4x4 chevy pickup, had to dismantle what seemed half the truck to get room...crossmember out, exhaust off, fan off, distributor cap, think we even pulled the swaybar...still barely had room to get it out... PITA- think id just pull the motor before going thru that again :)

hate to admit it, but my 93 F150 pan actually rusted thru...that 300 six is about 17 miles long, didnt even try pulling it...I welded a patch on it as it sat, just rinsed it with some kerosine afterwards to flush out the carbon/soot...ugly but took a half hour and still going far as I know :)

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
Had a rust hole in my 92 F150 5.0 in the winter time of course. Got under the truck to pull it and after taking a bath in salt slush I just wipe it dry and used some two part steel putty. Never leaked after that, at least for five more years I had it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts