Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I found a 63 1/2 Galaxie and was hoping someone could point me to a place to decode the VIN. I found it sitting behind a friends body shop under a tarp. I know its 390 4bbl and 4 speed car. The VIN is

65B J 95 013 22 5 5
VWN is 3N66Z158054

Thanks for all the help

Ron S

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Smokintire on 11/21/06 4:03am ]</font>

·
Administrator
21,760 Posts
Are you sure it's a 63 gal and not a fairlane? 65B is a 2 door HT fairlane, 65A is a galaxie HT. Double check your numbers to be sure. Here's what there is if it's a galaxie but a couple of numbers aren't correct.
Check this place out though. First time I've seen it. But doesn't have warranty info is all. Could be you read yours wrong is all and it's an A rather than B.

Deb

65B J 95 013 22 5 5
VIN is 3N66Z158054

65A (not B) = 2 door ht

J = color Rangoon Red

95 = trim red and red

013 = date code - nothing on the galaxie They didn't use 0 Maybe Q? "The code letters for the month are preceded by a numeral to show the day of the month when the car was completed. The second year code letters are to be used if 1963 model production exceeds 12 months

22 = DSO - District which ordered the unit - Charlotte

5 = gear ratio - 3.50:1

5 = Trans - 4 speed

--------------------------------

3 = 1963

N = assembly plant Norfolk, VA

66 = isn't listed for a galaxie at least on the one I have.

Z = 390

Consective number 158054 which would be 58,054th to be built. They aren't always built in numerical order though.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ShotRod64 on 11/21/06 5:09am ]</font>

·
Registered
981 Posts
Ya, no kidding on the numbers. I lost my data plate and want to know those things for my own head and have been trying to figure roughly the date. Sounds like a cool 63 that guy has, bravo!

·
Registered
581 Posts
The Vin breaks down pretty much like the previous post
3=1963 model
N=Norfolk assy. plant
66=Galaxie 500 2 dr. fastback
Z=390/4V 300 HP

You've got a couple of numbers from the body tag that don't add up

65B is a 2 Dr. XL500 boxtop which according to the third & fourth digits in the VIN(66) it is not.
<U></U>63B would be right for a 2dr. Galaxie 500 fastback

The date (013) is not formatted correctly ther should be 2 numbers and a letter example 01B=FEB. 1,1963
Hope this helps

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How the heck do I load photos? I will be happy to e-mail them to someone to post...... oh sorry it is 63B I am trying to read them from my dig Camera lol

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Smokintire on 11/21/06 7:27am ]</font>

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oh and it aint mine yet ............... dont tell anyone but I have <Mopars>...... but I drive an F150 daily lol

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Hehehehe.... I like Mopars too bro... some of them anyway.... Ask me about them some day... Anyhow, host your picks on imageshack.com and paste a link to them here. Once you've been around long enough and read enough you will know how to insert a pic.

FE

·
Registered
322 Posts
Well that's interesting indeed! The body plate definitely says 63B which isn't a galaxie but yet the car in the pics is definitely a 63 galaxie. The door with the plate is red yet the car is black....but looks to have been red and repainted black. New door, diff tag?

The registration site in Capt's post doesn't show 63 gals with that type of ID number?

·
Administrator
21,760 Posts
The doors could have been swapped possibly. Are the doors interchangeable on that year? I know 64 HT and Vert are.
The car was originally red so they probably didn't paint the doors is all as far as the color dif.

Deb

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ShotRod64 on 11/21/06 10:39pm ]</font>

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Here you are man. All you needed was these brackets "[" and "]" with img at the front and /img at the back.

FE

·
Registered
581 Posts
On 2006-11-21 07:16, brentville wrote:
Well that's interesting indeed! The body plate definitely says 63B which isn't a galaxie but yet the car in the pics is definitely a 63 galaxie. The door with the plate is red yet the car is black....but looks to have been red and repainted black. New door, diff tag?

The registration site in Capt's post doesn't show 63 gals with that type of ID number?
Guys, use an updated reference manual, body code 63B is definately a 63 galaxie 500 2 dr. fastback. It doesn't show up in the early shop manual or sales lit. because it was released mid year.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
On 2006-11-21 10:00, UTRY wrote:
On 2006-11-21 07:16, brentville wrote:

Guys, use an updated reference manual, body code 63B is definately a 63 galaxie 500 2 dr. fastback. It doesn't show up in the early shop manual or sales lit. because it was released mid year.
UTRY's bang on. You have to go to the '64 for that code on that site.

That car has factory cast headers on it. Nice find! Stu

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Also, correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't the Fastback actually a 63 1/2 model year car. If my Galaxie racing trivia serves me well, they were getting their, Ford, butt's kicked in stock car racing by more aerodynamic cars so they came out with the fastback as a 63 1/2 model and whooped up on pretty much all comers until '65.

I could be wrong and probably am. I have too many Galaxie tid bits floating around in my skull and sometimes they attach themselves to other unrelated memories/information.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts