Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I sent some e-mails to some of the readers here and haven't had any feed back yet. Knowing the fly wheel hp to be 452 @5500 rpm and torque to be 519 could any of you guys be able to tell me ET in the 1/4, speed and rear wheel hp?The car is 1964 Galaxie top loader manual 325 gears street tires.I want to know if I will get alot of wheel hop issues and traction problems. Engine bored and stroked 850 cfm carb. I dont have the numbers for the cam. It Has cj valves light head work blue thunder cj intake. MSD AL-6

Gobe

·
Registered
189 Posts
Go to wallaceracing.com they have some calculators to play with. you can also use richmond gears web site for optimum gearing. PEGLEG? posi? Traction bars of any kind?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick responce. Yes posi. No tracktion bars. I did a frame off restore to this car and want to know if i shoud add some or not. I would like them to be as non visible as possible If they are needed.This is not a race car but i don't wan't to just lite up when i step on it and wreck somthing. I don't know what PEGLEG means possibly open spool?

·
Registered
189 Posts
one wheel peel. most traction bars are very noticable, greg donohue did have extended snubbers for the pinion support, which came on hipo cars. this would with a decent leaf springs will help some axle wrap. buddy of mine has none in his 64 he wheel hops a bit but normally does not do that all that much so not an issue. I run caltracs, no wheel hop but you can see them.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks
I guss I will just wait till spring. Car is going to paint soon and I still have other details to work out. I would be intrested in talking to someone with same set up.

·
Registered
55 Posts
You can clamp the front half of the leaf springs tightly and it will help with wheel hop. Almost invisible if you paint them black.

As far as how it will run......the 3.25 open rear end eliminates any hope of good ETs.

In mid 70s I had a stock original 64 Galaxie 500 427-425 4 speed 3.50 open. It was not "collectible" at that time. It was just an 11 year old Ford.

It had terrible wheel hop so I put a set of Ansen traction bars on it. That helped but it still burned off the right rear tire.

I ran it at the track a few times. Usually around 15.0 @ 106 mph. Obviously the HP was there. 106 mph is in the 12s, but the chassis wouldn't ET without some help.

You might have a bit more power, but a bit less gear.

And there still is that open rear end.

A short example of wheelspin vs. ET.

My 66 Fairlane 460 (500hp) 4 speed runs well into the 11s on 9x28s. One day just for grins I ran it on the real street tires, 235/70-15 BFG Radial T/As.

First run was a 14.40. Best I could get out of it in 6 runs was a 13.60. Bolted on the 9x28 slicks and went 11.90.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It dose have posi. The higher gears were used run around drivingand highway. I would like to be able to gain a little respect off the light down the street.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
had a chance this weekend to test drive my car and my concerns of wheel hop was exposed. absolutely no traction. Definately going to need some kind of traction bar, ladder bar set up. Any suggestions or pictures of vehicles that have these installed would be helpful for me to decide what to put on my car. i haven't driven this car for 22 years. i had a blast but i was disappointed with the car not hooking up (i couldn't wait until spring to find out.)

·
Registered
189 Posts
competition engineering slide a links would most likley be the most effective for the money, caltracs but can get pricey if you get all the components. Slapper bars waste of money in my opinion.

·
Registered
55 Posts
On 2006-11-05 14:47, 64rag wrote:

Slapper bars waste of money in my opinion.
Awww....don't be so hard on the old slapper bars.....

When I put the 460 in my Fairlane back in '94 I bought the cheapest Lakewood "clip on" slapper bars from Summit. I put them on "as is" but later extended them so they would hit right on the spring eye.

With the only other chassis mod being 90/10 shocks up front it would pull the wheels about an inch and do a 1.56 60' on a good day.

On 9x28 slicks.

·
Registered
189 Posts
But you get a wheelstand out of anything ! Just not a big fan of slappers but some guys can make it come together. Quick test throw a set on the: edsel? a nice free front suspension is mandatory.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 64rag on 11/6/06 6:55am ]</font>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts