Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to order some Hub Centric Rings for my 65 Galaxie LTD. Does anybody know the hub size off hand?
Thanks......

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
As much as I think I know something, and as much as I do know, I have no friggin CLUE that a Hub-Centric ring is....

Someone want to give me a hint? Is this an east coast terminology where you folks call something that is another thing by another name altogether to confuse good honest western folk?

See it's not hard to admit a lack of knowledge for me.

Of course I googled the names and still don't know why you would need one unless you're using rim's that don't fit your car. IN that case you can google it and get about 50 different store fronts that have about a berzillion different hub rings listed.....

·
Premium Member
5,846 Posts
I have a set of Cragar unilugs, the hole is quite a bit bigger than the hub. Rings are recommended to improve the balance, though I haven't figured out which ones. Maybe when I do it will improve my high speed driving pleasure!

·
Administrator
21,661 Posts
Don't feel like the lone stranger FE, i'd never heard of them either. Only thing i've ever had added extra, which wasn't me but a previous owner, were Ford to GM adaptors to fit GM wheels on the car. I guess i need to go do some searching and figure this new to me thing out.

Putt, get a F & F spoiler, that'll make ya go faster I've heard!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
lol FE, altho I knew WHAT he was asking for I have never given that much thought of the matter. 99.9% of aftermarket wheels are built/mfg with a larger than needed canter hole as compared to 'steelie' OEM wheels. And I have ran all different brands/type kinds of wheels on almost everything I have owned and have never had a problem with the minute difference in balance due to the wheels not being perfectly "centered". Maybe just me or not paying attention, crappy oversized tires whatever the deal was. Even running the uni-lug wheels have never had a problem when used with the PROPER lug nuts with the correct washers and paying attention to their placement position on the wheel. Most have "out of balance/round" problems when trying to save a few bucks by not buying the correct lug nuts for the particular wheel being used.

I didnt respond as I didnt have the info he was needing, and I dont have the micrometer nor the correct car for said measurement. Yes if you normally use a steel wheel and a factory lug nut they automatically 'self' center on the hub.

Just like altho the bolt pattern is the same for a Ford Car and Mopar Car AND TRUCK (the earlier model of what Mopar calls Big Bolt Pattern, due to the Small pattern found on the early 70's A body cars and others i back into the 60's) NORMALLY the ford factory wheel will not fit due to the Mop center hub register being larger than a Ford, but will work going the other direction. (mopar on ford)

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
What the poster is asking is relevant. Most factory wheels are hub-centric. Aftermarket is a crap shoot.

You will have to measure for yourself.

·
Registered
576 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
CWood, if you have a vibration,it MAY be a balance problem, or a wheel problem, or a tire problem. But I can guarantee you that if your wheels have the proper lugnuts, tightened to the proper specs that these hub-rings WILL NOT solve the problem.

That said,it's your 25 bucks to spend...Good Luck
:tup::tup::tup:, I totally agree... irregardless of the "sales pitch" for the use of them

·
Premium Member
5,846 Posts
The bolt holes on Cragar unilugs are slotted so they will fit both Chevy and Ford. When I'm putting on the bolts, the first two are pretty tough because they move the wheel center around on the hub. Since the wheel was balanced exactly centered on the hub, get it wrong and the wheel will be offset. Use a correctly fitted hub ring and you have to center the wheel exactly like it was balanced.

Call the rings snake oil but let's have some facts. Not: "I never used them and nothing bad happened." That is a ridiculous proof.

Shotrod, what is an F&F spoiler? Will it make my 4-door look cool:( or really be cool :D:D ?

·
Registered
576 Posts
The bolt holes on Cragar unilugs are slotted so they will fit both Chevy and Ford. When I'm putting on the bolts, the first two are pretty tough because they move the wheel center around on the hub. Since the wheel was balanced exactly centered on the hub, get it wrong and the wheel will be offset. Use a correctly fitted hub ring and you have to center the wheel exactly like it was balanced.

Call the rings snake oil but let's have some facts. Not: "I never used them and nothing bad happened." That is a ridiculous proof.
I agree...the first 2 lugs ARE a pain...but the 3rd, 4th, and 5th are no problem...because the slot the lugs ride in is just as wide as the shank on the nut. I'v driven 1000's of miles with uni-lug wheels that didn't even have the oval washers, just a normal round one.

Balance to the Nth degree isn't necessary for a smooth ride unless a person does all their driving on a surface plate.

Modern balancers only balance the wheel and tire..What about the other rotating parts? This tool Hunter on Car Wheel Tire Balancer with Adapters Voltage 220 No Strobe Light | eBay will get it all balanced, but no one uses them anymore. A $50 bubble balancer from Harbor Freight will do an acceptable job also if the operator pays attention to what he's doing.

I don't have facts...but I'm still calling hub-rings a BS waste of money.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Here we go again...

The diff(s) between a hub-centric and lug-centric mount.

Gentlemen,

LINC went to hub-centric in 1963/4. It was done for a better ride with no vibrations. A lug-centric wheel will induce vibrations. The UNI-LUG was just asking for problems. It was a cheap fix to be able to use the same wheel casting on multi car lines.

·
Administrator
21,661 Posts

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Thanks Cwood. Now i see what they are!
So you understand the reasoning now, correct?

FORD went with hub-centric in 1965 I think it was.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts