Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both of my hubs have some good groves in them where the bearing goes. Do you just machine it smooth or what?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Beats me.... I thought this post was put here by accident...

I'll bump it fer ya though...

·
Premium Member
4,418 Posts
Not really sure the section you mean.If you mean inside the hub at the bottom of the arrow you can't do much if it is worn .If it was machined the planet gear housing would hang out the other side.
Only option if it is bad is to cut for a roller bearing in that position

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I've seen THAT before... And can assume it's from age and bad bearings and debris in the fluid. Replace it if you can... the distance tolerances are out of whack with all that worn off.

FE

·
Registered
159 Posts
If you are reusing the planetary make damn sure the bearings are good and that the gears turn freely. A hub with that much wear is not rare by any means but it does indicate that the fluid was NEVER changed and the rest of the bearing surfaces saw that same fluid . You can machine it for a roller bearing set and make it a rollerized transmission or just replace the hub but it will be difficult to use it as is when setting clearances and the new thrust bearing will wear improperly.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the gears seems to spin fine. The guy I got if from had rebuilt not that long ago. But it lost reverse and he thought the lower planetary gear broke. I don't remember what it was behind but it was a heavy, 4k, car. But both the gear sets spin fine. Is there a more accurate way to check them than just by spinning them?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts