Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just trailered the car to the track, to have it NHRA chassis inspected. Well, to cut to the chase, the roll cage is too thin. (at least the portion that was in it before I got it).

Now, I can 1. Repair some bad welding on it, and run SLOW this year, (i.e. detune the car and run 10.0's).
Or, 2. Rip the cage apart, and let the car sit until I can scrape up the funds to get it re=caged correctly, and have it reinspected..............What to do........What to do.........

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
FWIW I would go with 2. Rip the cage apart, and let the car sit until I can scrape up the funds to get it re=caged correctly, and have it reinspected.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Definitely remove the cage andhave another one put in. It's no fun not being able to make full potential ET passes but with new cage, you won't have anything to worry about and you can add nitrous to knock another second off if you want. It's really no fun being limited to ran a certain ET or slower, no fun at all. That sucks Drag, really really sucks

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I feel so sad for you
I'm getting mine done in 2-3 weeks & I'm sweating the old stuff too. About 1/4 on mine is a Jegster circa 1977. I agree, rip it out & get someone reputable to do it or... If you want it done right, do it yourself. Sorry to hear about it.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. It's looking like it's going to be a slow 10.0 car (at least during eliminations) for this year.
I know if I mention the phraze to momma, "Guess what, I gotta spend more", , she'll be handing me my nads.
I'll try and get some of the 'bad welds' looked into, and weld some plates on the A pillars, for now............Always something.............

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
I feel your pain, but don't Mickey Duck it. Sure, run the season in 10's but don't compromise the cage. We just turn a prostreeter away last week. He runs a 58 Vette conv, wants the cage lifted 2" for weight transfer but wanted us to just extend the cage. We told him that NHRA won't pass just extending but he wouldn't listen. Now he has gone to an other shop all pissed off at us.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Well, you got it loaded on the trailer. Im with Greg and fix the welds and run slow, save up the coin needed and giverchit.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just had to do mine. Had to have the old cage removed and a new one installed. The inspector was by on Thursday and the new cage passed. .134 wall thickness on the material. A couple of FYI's...he checked about 12 location on the cage for wall thickness and tube diameter. Then he checked welds on the plates where the bars are tied down. I was then asked to sit in the car and
he checked head clearance to the main hoop, 5 inches in front off and 3 inches below the hoop and side bar. Then he asked me to put on the 5 point, and checked the location of the submarine belt tie down, which has to back at a 45 degree angle back under the seat. Then I had to put up the window net,
to make sure I had clearance for my left arm, when the net is up. And finally he checked all the SFI codes and dates on the belts, net and the new SFI Nomex fire suit .....and then he put a 3 year certification sticker on the cage!!!!

One last item..on 1/1/03 they will be requiring an "X" brace between the bars going into the back...I am sure glad I had one put in. One final note is that anything installed pre-1994 will not pass, because at that time the rules were not as tough.

Ron

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ron1 on 4/7/02 9:15am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, no, no, guys. I'm not going to 'jerry rig' anything. NHRA changed the tubing thickness a couple years back. The old portion of my cage, (that was installed by the father/son team over 9 years ago, (or more), was a complete comp eng. kit. Unfortunately like stated before, NHRA has changed their tubing thicknesses for cars, etc.
Some of the welds, were ground down, and bondo'd up, (for the sake of looking nice). Another HUGE no no.
Upon deep inspection, they obviously won't pass tech.
I"m (for now), going to have those welds rewelded, also going to add a crossbar between the A pillar down tubes, and going to have some plates welded into the bases of the A pillars.
I didn't say before, but before the thickness, (sonic test), was performed, the inspector was going to basically give me a fixit ticket, and pass the cage. Obviously I'd have to have the welds fixed/repaired, but the thickness blew the deal.

It's not that it's NOT SAFE, it's just not up to NHRA safety regs, (to date)...........

If I had the money, (which I don't)......NOW.......... I would be ripping/sawing/grinding, as we speak. But I do not, so what little 'fun money' I have laying around, will go to the first welder I find who will do these necessary repairs for now........................I want to go racing.........Bottom line.........I do not want to do it unsafely.........I do want to go racing!!!!!! Even if I have to ONLY run 10.0s.................

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll have to play the 'sandbagging game'. I know for sure of 2 other cars down there, (at least at the rock), that are 9.50 cars, but 'don't' want to go thru the hassle of passing tech so they can run legally that fast, so they have throttle stops on the car, and just run 10.0's all day. I've asked them both frequently why they do that. Pure laziness. Me, I'm just the opposite. I want to run as fast as I can, as often as I can, only legally. Herein lies the problem.
Oh well. I'll have to slum it with 10.0's. Hell, I don't even know for sure if it'll run that fast yet!!!!!

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ron1 Was that a chassis cert or a tech inspection, sounds like both. We have to go through the seat stuff to get a yearly sticker for tech(& get spot inspections) On our chassis certs all he checks is wall thickness & tubing size & location, X-braces, sill bar... Most of the certs we get the owner is 40 miles away? I shudder to think what would happen if he saw one of the drivers in his car. This is an NHRA inspector & he comes to us to do the certs, if you did it at the track it seems they were doing a tech as well.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Don't know how to answer that. I too was expecting only a chassis certification. I contacted my Division office and they gave me the number of our local NHRA guy here. He scheduled a time, showed up with his 2 suitcases with the tools of the trade. He first checked the bar dia. then did the sonic testing, did a structural inspection under the car, followed by the rest I described. Maybe he did more than required, but what do I know? He told me what to do, and I said "yes sir".

Ron

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know what you mean! They hold all the marbles huh? You ever done a car show? I get more nervous than a long tailed cat in a room full of rockin' chairs when I get judged. '65 Mustang, unrestored, MCA winner

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, the welds have been repaired, the A pillars have reinforcements in them, and have been totally reworked. Interior is back in, and cleaned up pretty well.
Hopefully sunday we'll get a chance to flog this old girl.

By the way..........like the new banner Linden made and Dark7068 is hosting?.....

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I hate some of those judges! My '65 was in a MCA show & everyone was telling me... those mirrors are aftermarket, this car is too nice, it's been painted, wrong spare... Well one of the judges started ripping it to shreads as the other checked the interior & open & closed the doors several times, much to his enjoyment. He then proceeded to tell the other judge that"this is one of the best unrestored Mustangs I've seen in years & yes the mirrors were factory, just rare due to it's build date. Some do think they're the almighty! BTW glad you're going to race, I got nit picked on my cert too!

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was HEAVY into shows when I had my 66 2+2 and my Cobra. Showed the Cobra in modified/specialty classes and the Stang in original. My best memeory was going to a fundraiser show for a kid with Leukemia. He chose my car as his pick of the show and I his dad gave me permission to give him a ride around the block in it. I'll never forget the smile on his face when we got back. After that, I got fed up with people either outspending me or out nitpicking me. Now I only go to fund raiser shows and have no expectations of winning anything.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That is SO cool! I bet you were on top of the world. I wish there were fund raisers like that here, not that I want anyone to get deathly ill. It's absolutely amazing how people nit pick someone else's car but drive some hoopty from hell! I even catch crap from the people that LIKE my car because I drive it! Isn't that what they were made for? I have a '70 429SCJ Spoiler 4:30 DP car & I drive it like I stole it... just like it was made for

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
On 2002-04-11 12:46, fxcomet wrote:
My best memeory was going to a fundraiser show for a kid with Leukemia. He chose my car as his pick of the show and I his dad gave me permission to give him a ride around the block in it. I'll never forget the smile on his face when we got back.
FX, your a first class guy in my book!

I lost my brother in law to Lukemia last year.

I always love to hear stories about things like you did for that kid,if I ever get real rich somehow I want to give tons of money to the "make a wish foundation".

They grant wishes of kids that are not going to be around much longer.

Good job FX!

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yea, that was the most rewarding thing I've ever done related to my car hobby. I drove my stang all over the place; cobra, too. I respect purists who want to preserve cars like these. What I don't like is people who lock 'em away in some garage somewhere with covers over them where no one can enjoy them. Just smacks me of being kinda selfish. With your cyclone, I'm sure you've caught all kinds of grief about running it hard. Interesting thing, though. When I take my car to the drags, NOBODY ever says, "You shouldn't be abusing the car like that." People respect you for running your car, no matter how nice it is.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts