Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New here, could use some advice. I am attempting to install a Hurst Competition Plus in my '62 Galaxie which has a toploader 4 speed that I am told was originally in a '69 Mustang. Based on that, I ordered install kit 3735587. However the mounting plate that came in the kit is in the shape of a triangle (consistent with the mounting holes on the tailshaft), and the two holes that the shifter mounts on are straight up and down, which means that when the shifter is mounted to the mounting plate, the shifter is canted rearward quite a bit. Which means that in the 2d or 4th gear position, the shifter is hitting the seat (bench seat), even with the seat slid all the way back. I would say that the mounting plate is wrong, but the rods line up, and probably would not with the shifter mounted on a plate that has it straight up and down. I would appreciate any help at all. Thanks gents.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Welcome!

From what you wrote, plus a little digging I did thru my notes and receipts on my '64 Gal bench seat shifter upgrade, my opinion is that you need Hurst installation kit #3733167.

Your stick may still offer a bit of interference since it too is made for the more rear-tilted bucket seated Ford models, but I'd cross that bridge after you get the lower end all done.

The above kit is pricey on eBay, and, afaik, no longer available from Hurst/B-M. But.... if you have the time to research and be patient, you might snag something reasonable. Since I had lotsa time to round stuff up, I was able to sit-out auctions and bide my time -which you may not have since it's all torn down now, right?

Just FYI too; If you have back-up lights, you will either have to purchase the Hurst brkt kit for your switch and "hog" out the switch hole (the o.e. Ford switch's barrel diameter is larger than Hurst's) -or buy the $30 Hurst switch.

Altho mine is a B/W T-10 and uses kit #3733166, I was able to round all this stuff up over last winter, and when I did it all this spring, ...man-o-man it was hand-in-glove fitment-wise, and wow, what a difference in the way my gal shifts now. I am happy to send progress pics of mine -even tho it's a B/W, the basic premise is identical.

Your kit comes up fitting the following which I copied from Hurst's site:

• FORD
    • '72-'73 FAIRLANE & TORINO with & w/o Console, 433 FORD T & C Trans
    • '67-'69 MUSTANG 390, 428, 429 V-8 with & w/o Console, 433 FORD T & C Trans
    • '72-'73 RANCHERO with & w/o Console 6 & 8 Cylinder, 433 FORD T & C Trans
    • '67-'69 SHELBY MUSTANG GT-500 with & w/o Console, 433 FORD T & C Trans
Let us know how it goes! Norm

New here, could use some advice. I am attempting to install a Hurst Competition Plus in my '62 Galaxie which has a toploader 4 speed that I am told was originally in a '69 Mustang. Based on that, I ordered install kit 3735587. However the mounting plate that came in the kit is in the shape of a triangle (consistent with the mounting holes on the tailshaft), and the two holes that the shifter mounts on are straight up and down, which means that when the shifter is mounted to the mounting plate, the shifter is canted rearward quite a bit. Which means that in the 2d or 4th gear position, the shifter is hitting the seat (bench seat), even with the seat slid all the way back. I would say that the mounting plate is wrong, but the rods line up, and probably would not with the shifter mounted on a plate that has it straight up and down. I would appreciate any help at all. Thanks gents.

·
Registered
751 Posts
After I posted what I wrote, I also wanna add this:

Before you pull the trigger on another Hurst kit: Since your tran's tailshaft/shifter location is unique and a different model than yours, the Galaxie kit is likely to not work as-is, because it's made for a specific tailshaft config.

So then .....you might wanna try finding a shifter stick that has a slight s-curve to it --essentially reversing the back-lean as it comes out of the shifter base..... to more of a front-lean which will put the stick more vertical. That may be enough to keep the shifter out of the seat. I've seen these on eBay, at swapmeets, etc ....for various makes, not just Ford.

I worried about mine hitting the seat before I started the project, but there is a ton of room on mine.

good luck on it! Norm

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for your replies gents. Evidently my problem is that while the trans is out of a Mustang, Mustangs never came with a bench seat, as far as I know, and thus would not present any problems with seat clearance (although it could present console clearance problems I suppose).
The photos show the triangular mounting plate with the straight up and down shifter mounting holes; the shifter mounted to the plate and the resultant rearward angle; and what looks like from the interior. I did NOT do the hack job on the trans hump. Well, most of it anyway, I did have to Dremel about an inch to the rear of the shifter. What a pain this project turned out to be, I told my wife "it should only take the afternoon". And it would have, if it was just a simple R & R.
One option I am considering is, I have a friend who is a welder/machinist, I think I might just enlist his services to cut the lever - below boot level of course - and re-weld it at an angle. The only problem with that of course is that you don't get a second chance.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
What the real problem is, is that you have a Mustang transmission. It is 4" shorter than a Galaxie transmission and the shifter mount is too far back compaired to the Galaxie trans.and the trans mount is in the wrong place. What you need is a Galaxie output shaft and Galaxie tailhousing. Then you will need a Galaxie shifter and install kit. Which Hurst no longer makes, but David Kee does. I have pictures of it all that I can email if you are interested. Just need your address.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Funny you should mention the trans mount. The mount that was there was the wrong one, it was too wide for the ears on the trans, and was only bolted to one side of the trans. Which means that the trans is slightly off thrust axis. Or was, anyway. I have to assume that the cross member is original '62 Galaxie. So I ordered a trans mount (Balkamp 6201040, $8.00 from NAPA) that I think I can make work. Might have to drill some new holes in the cross member. If it doesn't I'm only out $8.00.
The driveshaft is fine. Speedo cable is present but the speedo doesn't work. Lots of little things to straighten out with this car. I've only just begun - got it in June.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts