Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Have a LHD 67 Galaxie fastback, top-loader +390 bench seat. The top-loader has seen better days, clutch needs replacing and a bearing is shot so when the clutch is out it makes a constant noise. Am looking into getting this fixed up and while I am at it might get a Hurst shifter.

If I buy this and this am I go to go ahead with the install? What else would I need?

thanks.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
That shifter and install kit won't fit a Galaxie. Hurst doesn't make the install kit any more and only had a few of the shifters left. Check with David Kee Toploaders in Texas. He has them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On his website it lists Hurst Competition Shifters for 64-66 Galaxie. Would this fit a 67? I would give him a call but living in Australia and him being in Texas it might take a while...

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
I called David Kee today and he said that what he has will fit a 67 but he needs the casting number off of the tailhousing. $474.79 USD plus shipping for the complete set up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for that :) I will grab the number over the coming week and should get in contact with him.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ID'd the toploader

RF-C4AR-7A040 A
W-R?or P them other writing i cannot make out.

Which means it is a 1964-67 Galaxie 289, 390 17" length, 28 spline -according to David's wesbite. Before I call him, just a few Qs...

How much of an improvement is it over the stock shifter? Not sure if the console any different to floor mounted, mine being the latter. By improvement I mean the length of the throw as well as going into gear? Is it worth it?

Also being a 28 spline, how much HP could this thing handle? if I am looking at a rebuilding the 390 (or swapping in a 460) in the future, say 400-500HP will this thing hold up? Not gonna be launching on slicks or anything, just crusing - maybe a bit of a squirt every now and again. If I need to swap it to 31 spline, what sort of price would I be looking at?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
The throw is shorter and more positive. If you are not going to launch it at 5000 rpm's with slicks you should be good to go. They put that same trans behind 427's in 64. 28 splines and all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts