Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running Rhoads lifters in my 289 with 1.6 ratio rockers and a hydraulic flat tappet cam. I'm looking for recommendations on how much lifter preload to run to be able to rev to 6500 - 7000 RPM. Right now I've got it set at zero lash + 3/4 of a turn. Is this too much preload?

·
Registered
280 Posts
zero lash plus 3/4 of a turn on all rockers is fine. You may have to shim under the pedestals to get the 1/2 to 3/4 final on the bolt.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Tony, 289's didn't have pedestal rockers.

On my 289 3/4 of a turn was too much. It held the valves open and made it run like a$$. Mine was more like 1/2 turn.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Ron, when it ran like a$$, what were the symptoms? Did it idle kinda rough?

I just put Rhodes on a 289 and want to make sure I have it right.

I did 3/4 turn preload.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Dragman,
When it would idle, it idled rough. It was a pain to start and would backfire through carb. When it was idling you could hear popping through the exhaust with and occational backfire. When you reved it up, it popped through the carb too.
I ended up just backing the rocker off till they were a little loose, while it was running. I then run them down till they quit clacking and did 1/4 a turn. I thought it was 1/2 but I now remember I did 1/4 a turn. I'm running an Edelbrock Torker II cam and lifters and Competition Cams roller tip rocker arms.

·
Registered
359 Posts
so how much of a turn down would it be to set roller lifters for about the RPM range, I also know that if you get to much preload it pumps up easy

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Just redid the lash to 1/4 turn and it seems to work good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts