Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I be able to press the center down with very little effort?

Before I took this engine apart I had what sounded like a tappet knock on the driver side, while the engine was cold.

Now as I reassemble ... I realize I have one lifter that doesn't want to adjust properly.

Once I realized that, I find that I can press down on the pushrod and depress the center of the lifter ...

I don't seem to be able to do that with the others.

What say you??

BTW ... these are Crane Hydraulic Rollers

Larry Madsen
Las Vegas Nevada

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: monstermach on 5/13/02 8:52am ]</font>

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FYI ... I called Crane this morning.

Tech said to send the lifter pair in to them Overnight Delivery and they will replace it ... also via Overnight Delivery

Seems we always talk about the "Horror Stories" ... Here's a little credit where credit is due

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Thats great hope your problem is solved.I have a horror story about a lifter in my stang.The engine was fairly fresh but sat for a couple of years before I put it into my car.It didn't burn oil before that but after I put it in it did.So I figured the rings maybe seized in the pistons or something,anyway pulled motor tore it all down ,new rings and bearings get it all back together and fire it up and its still smoking.So I pull off the valve covers to check something,don't remember exactly what, but as I'm turning the engine over oil is squirting almost to the ceiling out of one rocker .Anyways turns out one stinking lifter was somehow letting full oil pressure through and just filling my passenger side valve cover full of oil.The oil had to go somewhere so the excess went down the valve guides.Put in new lifter no more smoke.AAArrrggghhh,freshened engine for nothing

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: frdnut on 5/14/02 2:15am ]</font>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts