Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be building a street strip 351 clevo soon and need some advice on hyper pistons. How much power/RPM will they handle?
Is nitrous out of the question?
Should I use these or go for forged pistons?

Engine will have fully ported 2V closed chamber heads.

Also, what are the advantaqes/disadvantages of using longer/shorter rods in a 351 clevo?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
For a street strip engine you cant go wrong ,but you do have to pay attention to the top ring gaps according to your use.
As for the rods i have used the 302clev 6.028"rods and like them.The engines i've used them in have seemed maybe a bit torquier(sp)than other 351's.From memory the longer rod and the shorter piston to suit works out a touch lighter too.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
As Greg mentioned 302 Clevo rods are the way to go. Longer rods as I understand gives a better rod angle plus lighter pistons reduce wear in bores.
I had this combo and was happy with it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.

Can anyone recommend what brand hyper pistons to use?
Compression will have to be around 10.1.

Any help on a good combo would be appreciated as well. I want to run low 12s at least (without nos)

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've read/heard the most (and the best) about Keith Black hypers. If you go with the Aussie rod and stock stroker, KB has a flat top pistons that's got a 1.440" compressio height. Part number is KB285. Link to its page at their site is:

http://www.kb-silvolite.com/page47.htm#SECT5

Hope this helps.
Scott

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
I only trust and use KB pistons when it comes to hypereutectic pistons. They have proven themselves very strong and extreemely reliable.

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
I have used the K.B's in bigblocks and they're great.The last 351C i did with the 302C rods i used 'rightway 'pistons.Now i know you prob haven't heard of these before and neither had i.They are made in some foreign country but they are nice looking pistons.They were the only ones i could get at the time,Anyway they are coming up to 3 years old now and never given a prob.
I'll dig up the specs on that engine if you like.It had 9.65:1 comp with 2v open heads c.o.m.e solid cam,750 d.p on redline street torker intake and made just on 300hp at the tyres on a chassis dyno so would get you into the 12's ok.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gregaust: I am thinking of getting c.o.m.e to do the porting on my heads. What is your opinion on their work?
It is a hard to decide who to get to port my heads. K.E.C here in perth have just started up a 5 axis CNC porting setup which is supposed to be pretty trick, and at a reasonable cost.

·
Registered
123 Posts
hey guys, i have a set of sealed power hyperutectic pistons ( les than $200.00) in my b.b. turbo engine and they seem great. no problems after 100 passes at over 800 rwhp!

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
I haven't had any heads done by c.o.m.e but if their heads are anywhere near as good as their cams and service i'd say they would be excellent.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts