Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i'm going to be rebuilding a 73 351w from a boat and i'm looking for an entire rebuild kit.

well i looked in summit and they have pretty nice kits. the kit consist of all speed pro things i think and two choices of pistons. one of them forged of course and hypereutectic, very few of them are cast.

are these hypereutectic pistons any good? better than cast? almost as good as forged? can i hit a 250 shot of nos with these?

i'd like to build the motor roghly 400hp and use a good health shot of nos. is forged pistons the only way to go?

by the way, for he 351w they have the forged piston rebuild kit at 420 and the hypereutectic piston rebuild kit for 310. is this a good deal? if you bought all the parts separately would this be a good saving or just a enough saving to just go to mcdonalds with?

·
Registered
237 Posts
the hypers are between a cast and forged in strength. You can apparently use NOS as long as the rings are gapped appropriately for NOS use (the specs usually come with the pistons/rings) If you want to go 250 horse NOS then i would go with the forged. the only prob is, what size valves, cam are you running. im pretty sure the hyper pistons in the summit kit come with large valve reliefs for high lift and large valves, but the forged come with stock valve reliefs. As far as price, the kit is definitely cheaper than buying seperate. Summits prices are among the best.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
would anybody recommn hyper. pistons? and would the savings be enough to maybe buy something else or. IS IT JUST ENOUGH SAVINGS TO EAT AT McDONLD'S?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hyperutectic pistons are about 1/2 to 2/3 the cost of a good forged set. You will need to gap the top compression ring to a larger gap because generally the top ring on a hyperutectic piston is closer to the top of the piston than on a forged piston. More heat hence bigger gap. Generally you can run up to 150HP shot of NOS on a Hyperutectic piston without any trouble. I would definatly use a timing retard of somekind at about 1 degree for every 50 HP. That should offer a bit more protection against burning them up. Also, check to see the difference in weight between the two types of pistons you are looking at. Often time the Hyper. will be lighter than forged.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I think that a 250 shot of nitrous is pushing it with the hypers,I would either use the forged pistons or limit the spray to under 200.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I think that a 250 shot of nitrous is pushing it with the hypers,I would either use the forged pistons or limit the spray to under 200.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts