Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Read the post a few days ago about I.D. numbers on hi-po 289 blocks. I had read somewhere that contrary to what I had heard, Fomoco hi-po blocks were actually serial numbered to match the vehicle. Somebody help me on this because it turns out my Comet may very well have a 289 hypo block and I may sell the block and rebuild with a roller 302.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
I can tell you that the last digits of the vin were stamped on one of the deck surfaces on my 351C ... from my 73 Mach1 ... if that's any help at all.

To my knowlege all original blocks are stamped with the vin of the vehicle they were factory installed in.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's my understanding also. My block has a "K" followed by six digits stamped on the left front of the block. May not mean a thing, but it'd be nice to know for sure.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
If your block has the vehicle vin stamped in it and the vin code indicates it's a "K" code car ... Then you do indeed have a real live "K" code block. Little room for doubt on that one

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
If you have the Hi-Po motor and still have the stock heads, they are the only 289 that had screw in studs and cast in valve spring pockets.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
You didn't mention what year your car/motor is. But, Mercury did an injustice on a number of years specially in the comet line. It didn't matter whether it was a 225 hp or a 271 hp 289, the car came with a K code as the 5th digit. So, what does this meant? It means that your engine might actually be a 225 hp 289 and not the 271 hp.

Also, to further explain what was mentioned above about the serial number stamped on the block. If the block was not a service/replacement block, the engine code leter and the serial number was stamped on the block. This is were you see the guys advertise their cars with 'correct' numbers or matching numbers. Some cars it does bring a price increase over a none matching numbers car.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Just Strokin on 2/10/02 10:53am ]</font>

·
Registered
116 Posts
If the intake bolts are original I've heard that the top of the bolts should have a sandpaper-like texture to them instead of being smooth.

My friends dad used to drag race in the late 60's and he said that he used to sprinkle sand over the intake bolts and then paint them to help pass them off as a hi-po block. It was one of the little details to help fool the smog inspectors in California when trying to pass the block off as a hi-po. I thought it was an interesting detail, but maybe he was just blowing smoke at me.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Car does not have original heads and the engine was a rebuilt unit installed a few years ago. It does have the "K" followed by the six letter vin on the block, but does not match the car's vin. My car is an original "A" code car. Looks like I actually do have a "K" block. When we tear it down this week, I'll have a look at the mains. I recall something about having bigger main bolts or something in these engines? Is that correct? Thanks for the help, guys!!

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I still think you have a standard 225 hp engine even though the block and car say 'K'.

Here is a good place to ask about the Mercury K-code cars....

Any of the forums should be able to answer your question:

http://fomoco.com/index.asp?Dept=Forums

Also, you can get some limited info on early Ford engines there also via this link:

http://fomoco.com/index.asp?Dept=4&Tool=0

This is the link to the K-code 271hp 289cid:

http://fomoco.com/index.asp?Dept=Resources&Tool=Textbook&Eng=17

They were thicker main caps similar to what is on the 302 Mexican block.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Just Strokin on 2/10/02 8:50pm ]</font>

·
Registered
160 Posts
I been Wondering if mine is a realy K kode motor. I have a 67 mustang coup. I think i have a K motor because i have to adjust my rocker arms like ever 6months because is will make a taping noice. The Head on the engine says 66 i guess a 66 hi-po head? And on the normal 289 you dont have to adjust the valves.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: masterd on 2/10/02 9:27pm ]</font>

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
masterd

It is hard to say since there has been a lapse of 35yrs since your engine was produced. The 289 hipo heads had screw-in studs and spring seats cast into the heads. They also had a dual point factory distributor. The stock timing chain was wider also.

The next time you adjust your valves, check the studs. If they are screw-in, you may or may not have a Hipo. The next think to look for is the cast-in-the-head spring seats/pockets, this would definately say Hipo.

If they are pressed in studs that have been 'pinned' or not, you definately don't have a Hipo heads. You could run a mechanical cam with pressed in studs, but could pull the studs out of the heads if you run too high of spring pressure or the high lift of the cam cause binding in the valve train.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Just Strokin on 2/10/02 10:04pm ]</font>

·
Registered
809 Posts
Much confusion exists for the Mercury 289 engine codes from 64 to 65. For Comets in 64 Mercury listed a reg fuel 289 4V as code "K" the 260 was "F"

For 65 the "A" code 225hp 4V premium fuel 289 was standard in the Cyclones. Mercury did not list a engine code for the 289HP in 65. To get the HP engine required a special DSO order. The cars were still seralized as "A" engine codes. Bob Mammels Small Block Engine book shows two 65 Cyclone build sheets the list the 289HP as optioned in "A" code cars.

Wheather the blocks were stamped as "K" I don't know. If your block had a matching six digit consectuitve number the question would be answered.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Where on the block are these stampings at?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
When I was cleaning my block I found 3K292 stamped on the pass side behind the oil pan rail, and on the front drivers side in between the waterpump and head. I thought they were something a engine rebuilder put on there. It is a 5 bolt block. Whats with the k in between the #s?

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Couldn't tell 'ya. Now you know why I'm so confused. My number is on a machined space and has the K first, followed by the six numbers.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Walt, what you have found is the date the engine was originally assembled. Bob also has this stamp pictured in his book. Apparently the last digit has no signfiance, so that leaves 3K29 in your case. Meaning the assembly date of your engine is '63/Oct/29th. You can probably find a casting date of 3Kxx (xx would be the day) just above the casting number, which is behind the starter.

·
Registered
278 Posts
The HiPo 289 block is supposed to have an orange paint mark on the rear face of the block to distinguish it from a stock 289 block. Of course if the block has been hot tanked the paint is long gone by now.

The Casting numbers are also different from the regular 289, they are:
C3OE-B and C4OE-B for the 5 bolt B/H blocks
C5AE-B for the 6 bolt blocks

Not to mention the much beefier main bearing caps and webs. Of course I think we have already mentioned the cam, lifters, heads, timing chain, front cover and dampener are different from a standard 289 as well (if it is still original).

I hope this helps. My first Ford was a '65 Mustang GT with a HiPo 289.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts