Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why would Auto Krafters be selling a steering wheel horn ring for a 65 Galaxie on thier website for around $90.00 and be selling the same part on ebay for the same price at opening bid? Seems like a scam to me. Why would anyone in thier right mind bid on that piece instead of just buying direct? Am I missing something?

·
Registered
981 Posts
Gotta be an educated shopper, for instance same ebayer Auto Krafters was selling a rearview mirror for 24 bucks starting bid (around that $ figure) I won the bid knowing that buying direct is 10 bucks more. I got lucky I guess. I would deal with them on ebay all the time, good experience. You're horn ring may have been just one of those things where if you bid, you win even if outbid a second chance may arise. People that don't research will pay more not knowing.

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
The gas gauge I got from them was I think $39 or $49.95 at the time, think they might be $69.95 on thier site. But the gauge I think has been repaired. Instead of a stud that the wire hooks to there is a wire solder in it's place with a male end to slide into the original wire. I was after the price and I bet at times thier stuff might sell for more on ebay depending on who is looking when.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Why would they have in their catalog SS rocker moldings for the 62 galaxie saying coming in spring 2006 and when i call them i thay say " they havent even got the tooling yet" mike

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Should I really be considering doing business with these cats???

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
v8, I haven't heard of any complaints about them that I can think of.

As for the rocker moldings Mike, maybe they are trying to keep ya coming back. Kinda like the news, our story coming up next is...and by the time it comes up you've left the building.

Deb

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
On 2006-08-20 19:51, v8shadow wrote:
Why would Auto Krafters be selling a steering wheel horn ring for a 65 Galaxie on thier website for around $90.00 and be selling the same part on ebay for the same price at opening bid? Seems like a scam to me. Why would anyone in thier right mind bid on that piece instead of just buying direct? Am I missing something?
I think you are missing the point. I haven't seen that particular auction, but there are more than a few shops that use E-bay as a 'store front' web site for the exposure. If you look closely at the auction - most of the time they will only have a "buy it now" price, there is no real auction. If someone doesn’t catch the difference, I would guess it might be explained to them some where in the transaction. Just because you have a web site, a catalog and have great reputation with a bunch of car fans, doesn't necessarily mean that you have plowed all the fields.

At least one to several times a month, someone is advised to get a catalog from Dennis carpenter, Auto Krafter, Dearborn, Kanters...etc or join Ford Galaxie Club of America. You would think that if you were a fan of Galaxies or older Fords in general, they would have started there, collecting catalogs, first! Its real easy to pay top dollar for rust original parts, if you don't even know that reproductions are being made. Now if you are one of those guys looking for factory original stuff, that’s a whole 'nuther issue, relative to the guy that is trying to make a cosmetic or resto-mod car.

Not everyone gets the memo when it is sent out...guys tend to ignore solutions, unless it directly addresses a problem they are having "rat now!”

Point is...Auto Krafter has a very good reputation, if you decide not to give them your business based on E-bay listings...you probably are shooting yourself in the foot, missing out on a great source for reproduction parts. They have sales, specials and introductory prices, just like everyone else. I would doubt if they deliberately offered a higher price on purpose. As a Company, they may have faults, but I haven't heard of them being crooks.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Beoweolf on 8/25/06 9:00am ]</font>

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, good feedback. I'll give them a call and ask more about the part and go from there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts