Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It sounds....umm....different than it used to. The previous system was 2" press bent pipes with h crossover and 24" glasspacks. Now it's 2.5" with x crossover into Flowtech Afterburner mufflers. I don't have the tailpipes done yet, but they are going to be a must. Resonance from 1000 to 2400 rpm is pretty bad. On the plus side it's got a really deep idle now. The x really breaks up the V8 chop and it sounds smoother on idle too. I haven't pinned down what the sound compares to when you're on the gas. Just sitting in the garage and goosing it up to about 3000 rpm or so and I swear I could hear the x make a "whooshing" sound. Almost like I could hear a vacuum being created. Weird. On the road I ran from idle to 4000 rpm and the car pulls out way better than I ever remember. The ass-o-meter is generally a poor judge but it does feel stronger.
The system is out of mandrel bent 45's, 90's and combinations thereof and straight sections of aluminized pipe. Total assembly probably took around 25 hours give or take. I did it all without a chop saw too. Just lots of cutting disks on my die grinder! A chop saw or band saw would have saved lots of time. I ground down my welds and painted them with hi-temp aluminum. It looks pretty sharp and should last a good long time.
I took some pictures and when I get the film developed I'll see if Dark7068 won't post them for me. I wish I could put up a sound clip but I'm not that savvy with computers. I took some video of before and after so at least I can remember it for posterity.
I just wanted to share. It feels good to see a project come together, and work!

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I have these mufflers and 2 1/2 pipes into 2 1/4 tailpipes on my 302 mustang.Theres no resonance at all.I wonder what could be causing yours.Maybe no tailpipes?

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I finally got the first part of the tailpipes on the other day. Now the pipes go up and over the axle. The exhaust dumps directly behind it now as opposed to in front. Boom baby, no more resonance. I'll post once I get the last couple of feet of pipe on. It's going to sound pretty sweet once the pipes make it out to the bumper.
In short, Afterburner mufflers with dumps = RESONANCE

Afterburner muffs with tailpipes = a joyous noise.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rick, you da man!!

Finally got the full taipipes ran out the back past the bumper. It's got a sweet little burble on idle. It's actually pretty quiet on cruise rpm and seems to be equally quiet running up through the rpm. I want to stop and get out along side of the road somewhere and let get the wife blow past me at about 80 someday to get the "full effect."
I just hope she'll come back and pick me up!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I made the exact same setup on my dads 67 stang. Only differnce is it has full length headers. you would think the headers would end in the same spot, but one was a little lower, and longer. And I was kinda expecting those tailpipes to fit a little better. Seems like the section the goes into the muffler, and the last straight section, should be parallel. Did you slip those pipes together, or butt weld them?

1964 Comet 289 C4/3000 stall daily driver
TFS TW, Weiand Stealth, Comp XE268, Rhodes lifters, TFS roller rockers, Carter 625 AFB, Hooker SuperComps
"These go to 11." -This is Spinal Tap

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dragman64 on 7/10/02 7:24pm ]</font>

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks DT. Praise from your peers is good stuff.
Walt, the two 45's I was able to use without hacking up did have expanded ends. The x pipe also had expanded ends. The rest of the umpteen welds were the ever popular butt variety. God bless the wire feed welder.
My tailpipes are actually a two piece setup. I had to install the over-the-axle part seperately because the 2.5" mandrel bent U bend and 90* going into the mufflers wouldn't slip into position with the rest of the tailpipes attached. I went to the muffler shop in town and had them bell the actual "tailpipe" end so it slipped over the u bend at the axle and I clamped it on. You can't see the clamps unless your under the car so the install looks pretty clean. I also used that muffler cement stuff and let me tell you, it is some good sh!t. Smeared that stuff in there and tightened the clamps to pretty snug and that's that. Those pipes are same as welded now and I didn't have the mash the crap out of them at the clamps to get them to seal.
Thanks everybody for checking it out. My car's a rusty old piece, but at least the exhaust is pretty.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts