Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys'n'gals

I got a lead on a 73 Chero, it's a q code car that the engine and trans have ben removed from less than 3 months ago. Prior to that the owner used it to drive to work a few times. It had a 426 cobra jet with an auto that went into his 39 Mercury.
In addition to that I have access to a 302 BOSS engine from a 70 stang with the trans and all of the bits still on it. (alt, A/C etc) the problem is I have been told that I'll need a drive-shaft and mounts for the install. I have no idea what those will cost me. Anyone have any clue how much and where I may find one?

Any help at all would be great, Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
460 Posts
You would need small block ford (302, 351 W, 289) style motor mounts and a driveshaft from a small-block ranchero, along with the trans crossmember. You might be able to find the mounts on a site like Autocrafters or Dearborn Classics. Otherwise start searching for one in a junkyard.

P.S.-- it is a 429 Cobra Jet, not 426.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, I talked to the owner again, and I was completely off. The car is a 1973 Ranchero GT that had a 351C V4 cobra jet mated to a C6 transmission.
After researching the Boss engine, I discovered that a 302 Boss is really a 351 Windsor block with Cleveland heads on it.

So the mounts should mate up on it, and it even still has the factory duel exhaust intact from the manifolds back. They just unbolted the manifolds, trans and motor mounts, then disconnected the plumbing and left the rest sitting in the car. Even the radiator is still in it. So at this point I'm waiting to see which trans is hooked up to the Boss to see if I'll need a new drive-shaft.
If it has a C6, It should all be plug and play right? I'm so friggin excited I can barley hold on until morning. If the news is good, I'll be rolling around my Ranchero Boss in less than a week. I'm even waiting to hear from a company about custom stripes that combine the 302 Boss mustang with a Ranchero GT, should be sah-weet.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had the numbers wrong, I'm a former GM guy. I'm still not used to the engine designations. In my previous post I corrected myself, but am still trying to find out that since we're talking a 351C (cobra jet) and a 351w (Boss) block if the mounts and drive shaft will be compatible. If they are, I can have this on the road in less than 10 days. Then all I need to worry about is minor rust repair and then paint. The interior is done already.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FE, I hate to ask this but is that you in the pic? And if so, is that stash real?
I ask because I'm growing a handlebar right now but I ain't even close to that !

·
Registered
460 Posts
I was gonna say, i thought that a Q-code was a 351 C. the boss *should*, theoretically bolt right in. You are correct that the motor mounts from cleveland are the came as a sb. The bellhousing pattern is also the same. Good find man, glad to see another Chevy guy has come over to the blue oval side haha

·
Premium Member
1,015 Posts
I think I have a c4 cross member for a 66/67 fairlane... actually I know I do.

It's probably pretty close and would get you started.

I *might* also have a set of 289 engine mounts for a 66/67 fairlane. Not sure the frame mounts are the same or not.

If those will work for you let me know and we'll horse trade a bit.

I'd probably fore go the boss, only as it's really unlikely to be a real boss motor and someone is probably asking a real boss price for it. ;)

351W should be fine in there and make the car move good... they are easy to find and cheap.

If you were going to be towing or hauling I might step up to a 390+ but I like big blocks... :p

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Flip: Believe it or not it has been confirmed a Boss engine via block code. The trans is now my main concern due to legnth I may or may not need a new drive-shaft. I didn't check it, I was told that it was an auto. But I know no Boss engines were mated to anything but a manual. I couldn't tell by looking at one if a trans is automatic or standard. I'm waiting to find out the model of it from the mechanic to find out for sure which trans it is. If it's a standard this project just may be stillborn unless I can find a dirt cheap runnable C6 to drop in it. The wife is already very unhappy.

Blue68: I hear ya bro, but for the record, I have always hated Chevy. I was a Pontiac or Buick guy. 84 Grand National and 85 Fiero GT were my last 2 performance cars. But that was when I had more cash and less responsibilities.

Cross your fingers folks, hope this trans doesn't break the bank.....

·
Premium Member
1,015 Posts
Flip: Believe it or not it has been confirmed a Boss engine via block code. The trans is now my main concern due to legnth I may or may not need a new drive-shaft. I didn't check it, I was told that it was an auto. But I know no Boss engines were mated to anything but a manual. I couldn't tell by looking at one if a trans is automatic or standard. I'm waiting to find out the model of it from the mechanic to find out for sure which trans it is. If it's a standard this project just may be stillborn unless I can find a dirt cheap runnable C6 to drop in it. The wife is already very unhappy.

Blue68: I hear ya bro, but for the record, I have always hated Chevy. I was a Pontiac or Buick guy. 84 Grand National and 85 Fiero GT were my last 2 performance cars. But that was when I had more cash and less responsibilities.

Cross your fingers folks, hope this trans doesn't break the bank.....

I don't know how the small block stuff works so maybe it's not an issue...

...but I know there's a ton of D1VE-6015-AA 429 blocks, which would decode as a 429 SCJ block... that are really just 429 thunder jets.

Pull the pan and you've got 2 bolt mains and thinner main webs... they're still plenty strong but if you bought one thinking it was a SCJ you got screwed.

Ford has wonky casting numbers, I dont trust them at all for the rare stuff.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Ahh, i can understand it all now, i knew a chevy guy couldn't give up that easily haha. Im kind of a sucker for a nice Pontiac, my dad had 3 68' firebirds in high school, and ive been trying to find one for years.

Flip is right about the casting numbers being funky, but i think boss motors are pretty much in a number book of their own. It will be a 4 bolt main block, i know that much.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Somebody has been feeding you a line of crap!! In 1972 the Ranchero-Fairlane,became a full frame car-truck,nothing from a 66-67 Fairlane will work[except engines-trans].A Boss 302 is not a 351W with Cleveland heads,a 351 Boss is not a 351W with Cleveland heads,Boss 302s had their own blocks as did all 351Cs,Boss,CJ or normal.Aii small block Fords,after 65,have the same bell housing bolt pattern,same motor mount bosses,the motor mounts and mid-mounts changed in 66.429-460 engines are different than the 390-428 FE style engines,bell housing pattern is different as are motor mounts.You need to research what your Ranchero came with,then decide which engine style you want and what trans,before you start buying mismatched parts.Would hate to see you spend money on parts that will not fit. ROY.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Somebody has been feeding you a line of crap!! In 1972 the Ranchero-Fairlane,became a full frame car-truck,nothing from a 66-67 Fairlane will work[except engines-trans].A Boss 302 is not a 351W with Cleveland heads,a 351 Boss is not a 351W with Cleveland heads,Boss 302s had their own blocks as did all 351Cs,Boss,CJ or normal.Aii small block Fords,after 65,have the same bell housing bolt pattern,same motor mount bosses,the motor mounts and mid-mounts changed in 66.429-460 engines are different than the 390-428 FE style engines,bell housing pattern is different as are motor mounts.You need to research what your Ranchero came with,then decide which engine style you want and what trans,before you start buying mismatched parts.Would hate to see you spend money on parts that will not fit. ROY.
And yet, a boss motor will bolt right in place of a regular 302. Yes, a boss 302 is not just a 351 w block with cleveland heads, *but it BASICALLY* is. if you have heard of a Cleavor motor, which is a 351 w with clev heads, you can use a boss intake on them if i am correct. motor mounts are the same as a small block or cleveland, and bell housings, and trans mounts. a 66 fairlane mount is different from a 73 chero, but it can be modified to work if need be, because sometimes finding the right parts can be time consuming or expensive.

And if you read the OP, it says that he has found that the car is a Q-code, which is a 351 Cleveland car.

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
A Boss 302 is not "basically is" or anywhere near a 351W with Cleveland heads.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts