Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got the 393 in and running. HOLY SH_T it is fast, in third gear if I push it from 1,000 RPM to 2,500 it will spin the tires. I need to know what is a good safe initial timing for 10:1, with 93 octane. Right now I have it set for 12 degrees advanced.
Thanks

·
Registered
103 Posts
Chris, this may be way off but, I just read about one that liked 36 degrees advance. Like I said, I'm just building mine and don't know a thing about them but, the one trick flow built they used 36 degrees. Tell me more about yours. What did you use to build it? Very curious since I've got one in the works.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a 1970 something block with a cast 393 crank, truck rods w/ ARP bolts, KB 393 pistons, RPM heads, scorpion 1.6 roller rockers, RPM intake, Holley 670 street avenger carb, comp cams XE274H, 1 5/8 long tubes, milodon 10 quart pan. Right now I am running a stock distributer with a pertronix and MSD coil. I have initial timing w/ vacuum set at 12*. I don't know what the total is yet, but the distributer is out from a 69 stang so I am sure it is close, or a little on the safe side. Should the 12* initial be w/ or w/out the vacuum advance?
Thanks

·
Registered
749 Posts
Chris

glad to here its running! With alu heads and that compression/camshaft I dont see why you cant run 36^ total all in by 2500 rpm.

I want a 393!

Tim

·
Registered
52 Posts
Chris,
your 392 sounds like it boogies along, to smoke in 3rd sure is impressive, im putting one together withg Eagle H beams and JEs, the cam is a Comp Cams Xe282hr, i was a bit worried that my Rpm heads would be a bit small for a 392, are yours box stock or ported, and also have you dynoed it?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: NITROMAN on 4/15/02 2:05pm ]</font>

·
Registered
8 Posts
my set up is 10 degrees at idle no vaccum for a set timing then, hook vaccum line to advance to see total advance mine comes to 30 degrees at around 4500 rpm,s

·
Registered
355 Posts
Initial advance is set without any vacuum line to the dist and at idle (< 800) RPM. Should be at around 10-15*.

Total advance is best when it is fully advanced by about 2500-3000 RPM. Windsors like large advance numbers and a buddy of mine even had a Fairmont with a 302 with a total advance of 46*! That's the only time I heard of that much advance, but he let me drive it and it was fast.

My 408 has RPM's and it flows well enough to pull to 6000 RPM. They are extensively ported though and matched to a Vic Jr.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NITROMAN I have not had it on the dyno yet, the heads are box stock, but the intake matches it almost perfect, so I didn't mess with it, and I only have 1 5/8 headders, so I cant port the exaust to much, but I did do a little polishing. I don't know how high it will rev, I haven't broken it in yet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts