Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up guys? I haven't been on for awhile because I've been working my ass off to pay for the new shortblock I just bought for my Torino. It's a 502 ci with JE piston and Eagle rods and no cam. I'm not 100% sure on all of the other specs right now but when I get them I'll post it. I can't wait until I can afford heads. I'm probably going to go with the aluminum Motorsports Cobra Jet heads. The guy I bought the car from had basically the same engine/tranny I'm building in it, only he had iron heads, and he was able to run high 11's (it was 11.89 or something close to that). How much do you guys think I will gain with the aluminum heads? The heads weight 100 lbs less than the stock ones so it should be at least a tenth faster. Tell me what you guys think. Thanks.

P.S. Hey Tom - what's new with the Falcon? A guy I work with just got a 351C that he's building up. He thinks he wants to try and put it in a '64-65 Falcon. Have you seen any around that are for sale? I told him about a '65 thats on the corner of College and Packard in Cudahy but I not sure if it's for sale, it just sits there with no engine in it. Anyways, I was just wondering if you've seen any or have any good tips for building one.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Nick, that big ole Ford motor should really make your car move pretty good!

I like the Aluminum Cobra-Jet heads but they could use some minor clean up in certain areas.

Greg Cook uses the same heads on his 13 1/2 to 1 557 Galaxie with the minor port work I was talking about.

What compression ratio are the pistons with a CJ heads?

The Falcon is still coming along,I got the fuel cell all figured out,the shifter just came UPS today!

Im adding a fabbed up console to it now and some saftey stuff like window nets and race harnesess.

Im also adding some tubes into the engine bay from the rollcage inside,it will make the car more rigid up front.

Im yanking the full spool out for a 35 spline locker,I want to street drive it allot and the spool is a pain in the azz on the street.

Stop by one of these weekends if you want!

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
Keep us posted on the progress.I have got a 502 in mind at the moment and would be keen to hear how it goes.
I saw on the 385 forum a mention of the ford cj heads now come with some improvements which are worth around 50 extra h.p.Might be worth checking out.don't know any other details on the differences but...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure what the compression ratio will be right now with the JE Pistons and Cobra Jet heads but I want to get about 12 - 12.5 out of it. I haven't really looked too closly at all of the specs of the Cobra Jet heads yet, I've been spending all of my time working and saving money. I also have to figure out what cam, intake, and carb I'm going to use. I'll see if I can stop over some time this weekend, Tom. What would be a good time for you?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts