Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a Ford man.

Talked to a guy today who was replacing an engine in his Toyota. As I looked closer, it was a twin turbo Supra. Had new suspension, brakes, looked nice.

I'm a Mustang man.

Said he had to 180 on I-10 from LA to Vegas. That car looked nice.

I know a guy who took can verify a CHP Dodge Polara at 175, and another a Porsche twin turbo to 180.

Damn that TTTToyota looked nice.

So, do you think the Toyota can run.

I'm a Ford guy, What's wrong with me?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RPM on 3/24/02 12:31am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Well, if it was a supra, and I am going to assume its the V-8 twin turbo version, then yeah, he'd blow anything away that came from the factory from Ford. The car just accelerates too damn fast with the turbos, and has more power under the curve than anything in our (meaning ford) fleet. so yeah, it can flat out run. Now, the mustang cobra should be able to catch it, I don't know if it could out accelereate it, but it should be able to catch it. Sorry for the bad news. However, the newer toys', the '97-current toyotas have a major lubricating problem where the oil sludges up in the head and can't flow back down to the pan becasue its get so thick. I heard about it today. But back you your question, yeah, he'll smoke pretty much anything out there.

·
Programmer
856 Posts
There was this video I had of one of those cars out accelerating a 1100cc sport bike on the freeway. It had 30lbs of boost, and we all know that for every 14.7 lbs of boost, you double your horse power. So he had roughly 800horse power on a little tiny car...

Chris

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Bet he carried a broom and a dust pan in the back to sweep up the parts, too. Oh, and kitty litter to soak up the oil

·
Registered
38 Posts
i thought id get in on this real quick,,getting on the freeway a few monthd ago a lowered polished wheel red supra got on behind me on my ass wanting to teach me a lesson. i know some supras are super faast. but this guy and his girlfriend have probably smoked some of our fellow stangers with a little less power under the right foot. this guy downshifts and hits it, it makes a bunch of noise and barely starts pulling away. i roll the throttle on in 4th to catch him. then his right arm leaves the steering wheel and goes to the boost control to turn it up as far as it will go. i look over give the look of you are going to loose now. down shif tto 3rd not accelerating just getting in the rrr's he hits it again and i just get it. shift light at 7000 grab 4th, he is about 25 car lengths behind me. i slow up they come up and give the look of man you just hurt my feelings bad. i smile give the nod and exit. just a little supra smokin experience.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
FLORD: That story just made me grin ear to ear, LOL! I'd love to do that to someone! What were you driving?

·
Registered
355 Posts
<font size=5>OOOOOHHH YEAAAAAAAHHHH!</font>
That's what I'm talkin' about! Good 'ol American MUSCLE! Those unibodies might be light and have good suspensions, but when it comes down to brute power, forget it.

That movie Fast and Furious - total BS. What kind of rubber-band 14,000 RPM motor is gonna keep up with a 900HP hemi? None! Pure crap.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Jap cars are the wave of the future... but not mine! I had some tall wing Honda driving moron pull behind me in my little black '86 Mustang a couple of weeks ago. Boy was he suprised to see me pull away! We pulled into the truck stop & was he pissed! My little 4 popper(SVO) spanked hes..... butt. Injection is nice... but I'd rather be blown!

·
Registered
359 Posts
On 2002-03-22 11:08, 66stang wrote:
There was this video I had of one of those cars out accelerating a 1100cc sport bike on the freeway. It had 30lbs of boost, and we all know that for every 14.7 lbs of boost, you double your horse power. So he had roughly 800horse power on a little tiny car...

Chris
for every 1 bar you theoretically double your HP, but then again in theory if you double your intake flow you do too.
you don't actually double your HP like that in reality it would take somethinl like 30 PSI to double the power output, and at 30 PSI I sure hope you like rebuilding motors.

·
Registered
38 Posts
motorhead, check out my home page and look at my car. it is on photoz 1. 1970 coupe, full cage, 3000lb 4spd car. 355W. carburated

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
We have one of those Toys in my area. Its owned by a sailor with too much money and little experience behind the wheel. He wanted no part of my bike. I spell relief, Hayabusa.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Lordviper13: I agree, in the real world it would probably take 30psi of boost to double your power. I think this is because all superchargers/turbochargers heat the air charge up, making it less dense. I think if you could have a 100% effective intercooler (bring the air charge back down to outside temp), then the power doubling every 14.7psi would be true.

·
Registered
166 Posts
does anyone have real track specs on a twin-turbo supra? i'd like to know just so i could tell all the rice out there excatly what it can run, then put that up against greg C's 9 sec 6000 lbs galaxy

·
Registered
1 Posts
FWIW, 1 psi of boost equals approx 13.5 RWHP

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
Those turbo Supras a popular also here in Scandinavia, just red a small story of those; two are on display next weekend in 30th anniversary American Car (!!) Show in Helsinki, our capital. Those two do quartermile in hi 10´s at 133 mph and are said to have around 700 hp...
Well, if we modify a 400 inch stroker Windsor and add 30 + lbs of boost we will have 1500 hp instead of 700.
Most of those Turbo Toyotas here are just slightly tuned 200 SXs or Supras who cannot match even a 13 second Mustang. I did race a 200 SX with my very mild 351 W and pulled a 30 car length difference...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts